Author Topic: Time for generators  (Read 531 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Time for generators
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2024, 12:34:58 PM »
Hi guys and Gals, it`s been a few days since I posted any progress, sorry, I`ve been waiting for parts deliveries. Incredibly I have received new oil seals shipped from the UK faster than parts I ordered at the same time from within Australia, where I live. The crankcase and gear end seals have been fitted and the flywheel has been re-fitted and painted. The Lucas starter motor has been stripped, serviced and re-fitted, no apparent wear on the commutator ring confirms that this engine has done little or no work.
Cleaned up and painted the Lucas dynamo today, I don`t think I have played with a dynamo since the 1970s but it looks OK and tests OK with a multimeter.
Stripped and painted some of the engine shrouds today, looking forward to getting the motor finished and moving on to the generator head and wiring.
Parts should arrive next week. A few pics attached for those too lazy to read.

Bob

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2024, 05:58:45 PM »
Looking great.  Can't wait to see it running

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2024, 11:59:39 AM »
G`day folks, finally some of the parts I ordered are starting to be delivered. Today the replacement seals for the push rod tubes arrived, the push rod tubes have now all been fitted, What a pr1ck of a job, the internal springs are very powerful and at full compression only allow about 3 mm of clearance, sore arms and skinned knuckles!
All of the engine shrouds have been painted and fitted, another pr1ck of a job. the shrouds have clearly been bashed about over the years so none of the holes would line up with the threads in the engine. I`m glad there is no swear jar around here or I`d not be able to buy a beer for months!  :laugh:
So the beast is finally coming together, in the morning I will fit the inlet and exhaust manifolds and refit the oil feed lines. Still waiting on parts for injector pumps, should be here next week.
Some pics attached for you diesel junkies:

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2024, 11:16:19 AM »
G`day folks, I didn`t get as far as I would have liked today but the pushrods are back in place and the rocker assemblies have been fitted and torqued down, tappet clearances set at 0.1 mm (0.004"). this is a much smaller clearance than I am used to but it`s what is says in the manual.
The inlet manifold is back in place along with the high pressure fuel injector lines and the lower pressure oil feed lines to the rocker assemblies.
The dynamo has been refitted and the drive belt tensioned. The new air filter has also been fitted but I forgot to take photos of the assembly.
So, I`ve just got to fit the exhaust manifold and then wait for the injector pump parts to arrive.
A few pics attached.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 11:26:15 AM »
G`Day folks. not much progress today because it is Anzac Day. equivalent to Remembrance day in the UK and Veterans day in the US. Time to lay down the tools and remember that the freedoms we enjoy were bought with the lives of a great many brave young people from all over the world.
I did manage to fit the new oil filter and its assembly. I am encouraged to find that the filter I took out had a 1978 date stamped on it suggesting that this unit, made in 1976, has had a least one service in it`s life. I am very disappointed by the quality of replacement oil filters. compare the 1978 unit with the sh1t replacement made in China or India! I`m sure it will work but what a drop in quality over the last 40+ years, so much for Globalisation!
I also finished up fitting the oil feed lines. A few pics attached.

Bob