Author Topic: (fun topic) Painting/Naming: Is it immoral to paint non-hunter green?  (Read 16240 times)

Ray C

• View Profile

OK, just curious to know if anyone paints their Lister(oid)s something other than Hunter Green?  One of these days, I'm going to get one of these things.  When I do, I'm going to take it apart to blueprint it.  -Might as well paint it real nice while I'm at it...

Anybody out there got some creative color jobs???

Does anybody name their generator?  I ride sport-touring motorcycle and we always name our bikes.  What the heck??? Might as well name my generator too!

Let's hear it...

Ray

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
Re: (fun topic) Painting/Naming: Is it immoral to paint non-hunter green?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:36:40 PM »
  I thought that a properly done spiral on the flywheels might be nice, especially in flourecents. Like, take me back to the 60s, man.
                                              Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 04:56:19 PM »
OK, just curious to know if anyone paints their Lister(oid)s something other than Hunter Green?  One of these days, I'm going to get one of these things.  When I do, I'm going to take it apart to blueprint it.  -Might as well paint it real nice while I'm at it...
Anybody out there got some creative color jobs???
Does anybody name their generator?  I ride sport-touring motorcycle and we always name our bikes.  What the heck??? Might as well name my generator too!
Let's hear it...
Ray 

Lister would supply engines in primer, as did many other companies like Petters, Villiers and so on.

The actual colour code is BS381C Shade 226 Mid Brunswick Green.

BS381C colours are for industrial applications which is why so many engine makers used the range, which includes Shade 697 Light Admiralty Grey and others.

What colour you paint is entirely your own affair, and in my opinion nothing looks nicer than the deep maroon seen on early Hornsby engines, or the deep red that Petters used on some of theirs.

A Lister will always look 'right' in Mid Brunswick Green, but as long as the colour isn't too jarring, almost anything will do. The finish is also important, you can get away with a lot if there is good surface finish.

Have a look at these two Caterpillar 1Y73 engines, one painted and one not:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Portland/Portland070.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Portland/Portland071.htm

I'd like to get my two Cat's up into that painted version's condition.

Peter

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 07:17:58 PM »
--Lister would supply engines in primer, as did many other companies like Petters, Villiers and so on.

This would explain the black original Lister I saw at an auction several years ago.  It was original paint, with the original Lister logo on it.  I really wish I hadn't stopped bidding on that engine now.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 12:21:23 AM »
Supposedly, many engine buffs believe in painting light colors, so that oil leaks, cracks, etc. can be seen more easily.  Detroit Diesel engines (GMC) are painted alpine green (a very light green) though I'm not sure why, they seep so much oil they always seem to be the color of greasy dirt.  I kind of like that copper color that one of the posting members painted theirs.  Mine is just the way it came, and likely to remain that way though.  I'm not so sentimental as some though.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

Stan

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 01:21:29 AM »
Mine came mid-brunswick green.  Some protected areas have really very nice paint but I'm going to redo her in her original colours.  The oil pump is brass and it shined up really nice.   You know what you call an old lady in garish colours don't you?  A hussey!  Penelope will never be called a hussey as long as I'm around!  ;)
Stan
It looks like the fuel pump was black.  Was that normal?

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:02:08 AM »
Mine was a mess when I got it

I painted it with Tremclad Farm Machinery Rust Paint -  the engine is John Deer Green with John Deer Yellow highlights and base... looks very nice- all the farmers like it  :)
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Stan

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 04:57:27 AM »
I like the sound of that.  "Tremclad Farm Machinery Rust Paint"  Sounds real honest.  I wonder if it comes in brunswick green.
Stan

Nope...just Ford Blue,  International Red,  John Deere Green,  John Deere Yellow,  New Caterpillar Yellow, &  Old Caterpillar Yellow
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:01:55 AM by Stan »

listerdiesel

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:18:05 AM »
It looks like the fuel pump was black.  Was that normal?

Yes, the cast-iron BPF1B pumps were painted or just left raw castings.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 11:32:06 PM »
OK, I went into town and talked to a couple of engine rebuilders who had all sorts of ideas on painting engines including 2-part epoxy paints and other fancy stuff.  When pressed on what they used on their own motors they both told me the same thing.  On any parts that weren't subjected to high heat like exhaust manifolds, they used metal rust paint from the hardware store.  It turns out the local "Home Hardware" (Canada eh?) store has a paint called "Weather Shield Rust Coat" that comes in basic green.  When I compared it to my tappet hold down bracket that has quite a bit of original paint on it, the Weather Shield green hardware store paint was a perfect match.  At $9.99 a quart it was both cheap and readily available in case I ever need to touch something up in the future.  When I painted a couple of parts (water intake and output fittings) it looked a bit lighter green than I would have liked but as it is drying it's darkening up nicely. 
Stan
btw...both engine guys told me the "secret" was (of course) metal preparation.

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 02:25:47 AM »
My Lister accessories are Oliver Green from Tractor Supply. I like their enamel.

I named my Lister "Larry" in honor of the guy I picked it up from.  It has a nice ring to it, "Larry Lister"

They don't have to have female names do they?

Stan

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 03:54:55 AM »
That depends on their plumbing doesn't it?   ;D
Stan

Stan

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 06:32:19 PM »
Here's the colour green from my hardware store rust paint.

Stan

Doug

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 11:17:28 PM »
It was a toss up for me....

I thought about the deep Petter red but I didn't have any ( should have gone red... ).
I went with an CAT yellow, actual CAT paint I got from some service guys.

Trouble with a high gloss is it chips easy and a light colour shows the chips and leaks.

Next time Its going to be glyptal in and out with perhaps some red on top...

Doug

Stan

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 11:20:56 PM »
Glyptal was one of the suggestions for the "high end" treatment.  I just figured if anything chipped or got ruined somehow it was better to just skip down to the hardware store and buy a little can of the same paint to touch it up.  Every grand old lady needs a "touch up" now and then, right?
Stan