Puppeteer

Author Topic: Copper "O" rings  (Read 6160 times)

Stan

Copper "O" rings
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:31:11 PM »
I want to replace the copper "o" rings on the banjo bolts of the fuel system.  Since they are compressable they should only be used once.  Since I cannot source them anywhere around here, I was wondering if rubber "O" rings could be used for the same purpose.  What does everyone think?  There's little pressure on the fuel line before the fuel pump, since it's all gravity fed anyway.
Stan

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Copper "O" rings
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:02:26 PM »
Usually you can reuse them if you anneal them.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 11:25:13 PM »
Auto parts store...disk brake caliper...hydraulic line seals

Joe
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:34:28 PM by Joe »
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 03:49:30 AM »
I want to replace the copper "o" rings on the banjo bolts of the fuel system.  Since they are compressable they should only be used once.  Since I cannot source them anywhere around here, I was wondering if rubber "O" rings could be used for the same purpose.  What does everyone think?  There's little pressure on the fuel line before the fuel pump, since it's all gravity fed anyway.
Stan

Stan:

The copper washers are Metric sizes and still readily available over here. If you go for the new pawl, I'll stick a couple in the jiffy bag for you FOC.

Hydraulic washers with the rubber insert work OK, but O rings would compress and allow the banjo to come loose.

Have replied to your email.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 05:46:36 PM »
Tnx Peter...I'd like 6 so I can replace them all.
Stan

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 10:48:59 PM »
FYI   should you be silly enough to try to anneal one of the 14mm aluminum pump washers (thought it was plated) and turn it into a puddle :P you can get up and running again with a sparkplug washer.
                                              Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

fireram

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 05:19:14 AM »
I was in a hydraulic hose supplier today, and asked if they had anything like copper washers.  He directed me to a shelf full of copper washer of all sizes, (maybe even big enough for the compression changeover valve, and as small as the one at the bottom of the injector nozzel) that were for english threaded hydraulic fittings...

If I can find some dimmensions, i can go back and see if any of them are a fit..  The supplier is a national chane wide store, so shoul be available across north america.. I previously got some push on hydraulic fittings to replace the banjo bolts on my dodge fuel system.. no more loosing a washer into the abyss of the engine compartment.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »
I was in a hydraulic hose supplier today, and asked if they had anything like copper washers.  He directed me to a shelf full of copper washer of all sizes, (maybe even big enough for the compression changeover valve, and as small as the one at the bottom of the injector nozzel) that were for english threaded hydraulic fittings...

If I can find some dimmensions, i can go back and see if any of them are a fit..  The supplier is a national chane wide store, so shoul be available across north america.. I previously got some push on hydraulic fittings to replace the banjo bolts on my dodge fuel system.. no more loosing a washer into the abyss of the engine compartment.

Firearm,

What was the name of the copper washer store you discovered?  I wonder if there is a clone in Barrie, Alliston or Orangeville?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

fireram

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 11:22:41 AM »
Its parker  www.parker.com  click on distributors, then fluid connectors, then canada, then parker stores in ontario, or just enter your postal code.

There is a parker store in barrie and missasauga. You may be able to get what you need from the other parker specialty shops, or most hydraulic parts distributors will be able to order parker supplies, but some of them wont selll to the public, but the parker stores do..

Not the cheapest place, I found the TSC stores to be the best price for most common stuff, and there is one in Alliston.. 

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:14:31 PM »
Try these for dimensions...Apendix C Washer Set

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Articles/rrchapt8.htm

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 03:36:31 PM »
Its parker  www.parker.com  click on distributors, then fluid connectors, then canada, then parker stores in ontario, or just enter your postal code.

There is a parker store in barrie and missasauga. You may be able to get what you need from the other parker specialty shops, or most hydraulic parts distributors will be able to order parker supplies, but some of them wont selll to the public, but the parker stores do..

Not the cheapest place, I found the TSC stores to be the best price for most common stuff, and there is one in Alliston.. 

Thanx Fireram.  My apologies for misreading.mispelling your handle.  I am aware of the TSC store you mentioned.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion