Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel pump pawl  (Read 24134 times)

Stan

Re: Fuel pump pawl
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 05:29:37 AM »
Click on the little envelope and send me your email address and I'll reply.
stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 03:27:27 PM »
I've just retrieved the pawl and shouldered bolt from my 12/2 Lister, and will be doing a CAD drawing for the part so I can get a few made at our laser metal cutters.

If anyone wants one, let me know and I'll get extra made.

There is also a pin which is riveted to the plate, I'll not make that up but will do a little drawing of it so that people can make their own. The hole for the pin will be cut at the same time as the plate.

Note that these are for the BPF1B pump as used on the Listers and NOT the BPF1A pump as on the small Petter engines.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 09:19:39 AM »
Andy at the metal bashers has got 6mm or 1/4" plate ready and has promised to put these through asap once he has the drawing.

I'll do the drawings for the stop pin and shouldered bolt so that anyone wanting the pawl can generate their own.

I don't have costs from Andy for the pawls, and I'll have to drill the holes out afterwards as they are not as smooth as a drilled hole. He will spot the holes with the laser and I'll set them up and drill them at the factory or home. We have a big Elliott 3A floor pillar drill that goes up to 1.25" in steel at home :-))  but also have a smaller Ajax 1/2" pillar drill as well which I will probably use.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »
Tnx Peter, I will also get hold of Troy, he may need 2.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 08:48:20 PM »
Stan

I think I would be correct in saying that the twins only had one pawl, as it worked on the coupled racks of the two injection pumps.

I'll double-check that :-))

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »
Stan

I think I would be correct in saying that the twins only had one pawl, as it worked on the coupled racks of the two injection pumps.

I'll double-check that :-))

Peter

The early parts lists quote 2 per twin cylinder engine, so he would need a pair if both are missing.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 04:33:48 PM »
It seems he has both on his engine. So he won't need them.  I still need 1 though plus a half dozen two-part, compressable copper washers for the fuel system banjo fittings.  No luck finding anything around here.
STan

listerdiesel

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 08:59:07 PM »
It seems he has both on his engine. So he won't need them.  I still need 1 though plus a half dozen two-part, compressable copper washers for the fuel system banjo fittings.  No luck finding anything around here.
STan

The correct washers are solid copper....  That's what we use and get from our injection guy, so that's what you'll end up with.

Compressible washers are not generally used on injection gear or fuel lines as they give after a while and loosen off.

The pawl drawing is done, as I just recounted to another member off-list, the dimensioning is a mixture of Metric, English and a bit of hand filing!

The shouldered bolt and stop pin I have drawn as well, the stop pin does have a separate part number in the book, and the shouldered bolt and pawl are both stamped very neatly with their parts numbers.

Can you see the Indians doing that? :-))

Peter

Stan

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006, 05:52:54 AM »
OK Peter, I can get the solid copper ones here with no problem, I had assumed the ones I found on my 6/1 were "stock".  They are a 2 part copper washer that is designed to compress much like a spark plug washer.  No need to put a few in with my pawl.  Are you going to post the drawings of the shoulder bolt and the other part online on your site?

As to the Indians stamping a number on small parts like that I haven't ever seen an Indian listeroid so I couldn't say, but from what I've read on this site it doesn't seem to be the case.

I still can't get my injector out of the hole in the head, it wiggles a bit but only under force.  I'm thinking when I get the old girl back together I will loosen the two nuts holding the injector down a 1/4 inch or so, wind her up and pop the "clutch" so to speak and see if I can get the compression to pop the injector up.  I'm sure it's just carboned up at the tip.  What do you think of that technique?
Stan
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 05:57:38 AM by Stan »

listerdiesel

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 09:09:50 AM »
I still can't get my injector out of the hole in the head, it wiggles a bit but only under force.  I'm thinking when I get the old girl back together I will loosen the two nuts holding the injector down a 1/4 inch or so, wind her up and pop the "clutch" so to speak and see if I can get the compression to pop the injector up.  I'm sure it's just carboned up at the tip.  What do you think of that technique?
Stan

Once the pressure is relieved it will just stick a bit further up the hole.

I used to keep a pair of Snap-On mini pry bars for this sort of job, so I could get one under each side and lift the injector out staright rather than canted over.

It is probably carbon as you surmise, but water also gets in there and causes localised rusting.

As a last resort you can try a couple of wedges, but be careful!

Peter

Stan

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 04:31:30 AM »
Thanks Peter.
Do the two  .43" Diameter studs that go into the head on either side of the injector screw out of the head or are they press fit in there.  If I could get them out I'm sure I could get the injector out but they are in the way of trying to pry upwards from any side but the "front". 
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 08:47:05 AM »
Thanks Peter.
Do the two  .43" Diameter studs that go into the head on either side of the injector screw out of the head or are they press fit in there.  If I could get them out I'm sure I could get the injector out but they are in the way of trying to pry upwards from any side but the "front". 
Stan

Everything is screwed.... including your injector if you ain't very careful! :-))

We've got brand new nozzles for these and the 3/1 if anyone wants them, they are about £22 plus postage.

Peter

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »
Stan,

The injector was stuck in the head on my Petter PJ-1 when I got it in a rusted basket case condition.  I fabricated a U-bolt pulller that screws onto the end of mty slide hammer.  By unscrewing the injector studs and removing them I was able to get the puller into the injector and some nuts behind the injector ears.  With penetrating oil and time this technique worked well.

A fairly local diesel injection shop called Derek`s Diesel in Barrie, Ontario  rebuilt my injector with a new tip and set the pressure. I cannot give these guys a higher recommendation. They do really first class work and prices are fair.  Glass bead blasted the old housing, etc.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:42:46 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

listerdiesel

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 04:08:21 PM »
Stan,

The injector was stuck in the head on my Patter PJ-1 when I got it in a rusted basket case condition.  I fabricated a U-bolt pulller that screws onto the end of mty slide hammer.  By unscrewinf the injector studs and removing them I was able to get the puller into the injector and some nuts behind the injector ears.  With penetrating oil and time this technique worked well.

A fairly local diesel injection shop called Derek`s Diesel in Barrie, Ontario  rebuilt my injector with a new tip and set the pressure. I cannot give these guys a higher recommendation. They do really first class work and prices are fair.  Glass bead blasted the old housing, etc.

I have also seen them made to screw into the top of the injector after the cap nut is removed.

Peter

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »
Stan,

The injector was stuck in the head on my Patter PJ-1 when I got it in a rusted basket case condition.  I fabricated a U-bolt pulller that screws onto the end of mty slide hammer.  By unscrewinf the injector studs and removing them I was able to get the puller into the injector and some nuts behind the injector ears.  With penetrating oil and time this technique worked well.

I have also seen them made to screw into the top of the injector after the cap nut is removed.

Peter

I guess that would work too but I see the cap as part of the delicate stuff (it sets the injector break pressure for example and deforming it would not be helpful) and the ears as for putting mechanical pressure on.  In a pinch you have to do what is available to you.

-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion