Author Topic: Help with AV2 inj pump  (Read 5183 times)

cbr600

• amateur greasemonkey for 30 yrs
    • View Profile
Help with AV2 inj pump
« on: November 25, 2006, 03:13:12 AM »
Hi all
I just picked up a little (650#?) AV2 and am trying to get it running. I thought it was a PH2 from Peters manuals because of the rad, but from the #'s on the bryce pumps have deduced it is an AV2. I have pretty good compression but one pump was stuck although I can't see why now that I have it (mostly) apart. I can't figure out how to get the pumping cylinder out of it. I seen Peter's breakdown pics not for this particular pump but can't get this last bit out. The other pump is nice and free so I think I may just flush some clean diesel through it rather than dismantle it. Also, one tooth on the gear is a little mashed, possibly from my thumping (gently ) on the rack. I think I can file it a bit. I worked as a hydraulic tech for a bit in Halifax (NS Canada, loved the job, hated the city) so I think I understand the cleanliness req. Any thoughts? I put some pics at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/31981317@N00/
Also, the manual I got with it is  for an AVA2 and describes dire consequences if I don't use the finned aluminum sleeve rather than a copper washer to seal under the injector. I don't have such sleeves nor room for them but I don't think it applies to the water cooled one anyways. Anyone have a manual or experience to confirm?

what kind of drug was popular when whitworth sizes were invented anyways??  ;-)

listerdiesel

Re: Help with AV2 inj pump
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 07:40:24 AM »
The AVA series handbook is only any good for general info, the AV is a totally different engine above the crankcase.

There are Series I and Series II engines, you need to sort out which one you have there.

Series I have the injector going into the head horizontally, Series II have the injector at a 45 Degree angle into the head.

The element has to come out with the holder part that has the gear around the body, if the rack teeth are damaged then it won't be easy. The actual element inner part should come away leaving the outer part in there.

Whitworth threads are the great-granddaddy of all 'proper' threads and should be treated with respect! :-))

Let me know which Series engine you have, and keep a lookout on ebay and abebooks.com for manuals, they are there most weeks.

Peter

cbr600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:51:37 PM »
Thanks Peter, for this and all the info you've posted on these engines. It is a series 2, from the angled injectors and the Bryce pump # per your charts. I have the gear and "element" or piston out. It's the cylinder I can't get out. There doesn't seem to be any scoring or scratches on either. There is a pic of the mashed tooth on the gear on the link above, but I don't think it will be a big problem.
ps that was me who emailed you about putting the PH2 manuals online a couple of weeks ago.

Tim

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »
Thanks Peter, for this and all the info you've posted on these engines. It is a series 2, from the angled injectors and the Bryce pump # per your charts. I have the gear and "element" or piston out. It's the cylinder I can't get out. There doesn't seem to be any scoring or scratches on either. There is a pic of the mashed tooth on the gear on the link above, but I don't think it will be a big problem.
ps that was me who emailed you about putting the PH2 manuals online a couple of weeks ago.

Tim

Have a look at the Bryce pump exploded diagram on:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Injection/Bryce5.htm

If you already have Part #9 out, then that's as far as you have to go. There ain't any more!

What you seem to be looking at is the delivery valve in the top?

Peter

cbr600

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 01:16:38 AM »
Excellent!  It's 3 I'm trying to get out - guess I have to wiggle 16 some more! Did you just add that page? I don't think I seen it before.

Thanks!

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »
Excellent!  It's 3 I'm trying to get out - guess I have to wiggle 16 some more! Did you just add that page? I don't think I seen it before.

Thanks!

Yes, I thought it might be worth adding the actual Bryce page rather than relying on the CAV picture which is slightly different. Better to have the correct details when you are dismantling something!

Peter