Author Topic: Fuel filters??  (Read 9646 times)

Stan

Fuel filters??
« on: November 24, 2006, 05:29:09 AM »
OK...here's another question I have.  I walked into our local "Lordco" (autoparts store) and asked for a diesel fuel filter cartridge that was approximatley 2.75" in diameter, and approx. 4" long.  They looked at me like I was loco!   What's it off, was the first question?.... Well, they didn't like 1949 Lister and didn't want to go through their stock with a ruler so I'm stuck!  ???

I plan to replace the fuel filter wick on mine with a standard (hopefully cheap) fuel filter and force it up to mate with the top plate (possibly with a large rubber washer) using a spring sort of like a small bedspring.  That way it would be easy to replace when needed.

Any help on that size of filter?
Stan

listerdiesel

Re: Fuel filters??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 08:14:55 AM »
OK...here's another question I have.  I walked into our local "Lordco" (autoparts store) and asked for a diesel fuel filter cartridge that was approximatley 2.75" in diameter, and approx. 4" long.  They looked at me like I was loco!   What's it off, was the first question?.... Well, they didn't like 1949 Lister and didn't want to go through their stock with a ruler so I'm stuck!  ???

I plan to replace the fuel filter wick on mine with a standard (hopefully cheap) fuel filter and force it up to mate with the top plate (possibly with a large rubber washer) using a spring sort of like a small bedspring.  That way it would be easy to replace when needed.

Any help on that size of filter?
Stan

See my other post about the Crosland 457 filter cartridge. If  you cannot find a match, look for diesel filters for early 1970's Scania and Volvo trucks, they should be the same one. The rubber seals are included on the element and thrown away each time you change it.

The Scania part is 152 875, they changed to a spin-on filter in 1973/4 so make sure it is the earlier filter element. I'll find a Bosch cross-reference when I get a minute to dig the book out.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »
I don't think they will know what a Scania or Crosland is in the USA lol.

My mother inlaw had a Vauxhaul, they were never a common car in Canada but they did sell a few. Cross the boarder in the US and you couldn't even get a fan belt....

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:33:42 PM »
I don't think they will know what a Scania or Crosland is in the USA lol.

My mother inlaw had a Vauxhall, they were never a common car in Canada but they did sell a few. Cross the boarder in the US and you couldn't even get a fan belt....

Well, for the unitiated, Scania is the world's fourth-largest truck company after GM, Volvo and MAN. VW has a large stake in both Scania and MAN and is pushing for a merger between the two.

Crosland is a filter company, usually comes up on most filter cross-reference lists

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:46:34 PM »

The Scania part is 152 875, they changed to a spin-on filter in 1973/4 so make sure it is the earlier filter element. I'll find a Bosch cross-reference when I get a minute to dig the book out.

Peter

The Bosch number is 1 457 432 270

Peter

Stan

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 04:04:04 PM »
Thanks Peter...I'll now be able to walk in there without all the staff running and hiding  ;D
Stan

Stan

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 07:32:26 PM »
OK, so I go in to the local auto supply store and give them the Bosch number and their computer comes up empty.  I then tell them I have a Crosland number (457) and the don't think they have ever heard of it but they type it in and it gives them a FRAM number C11860PL.  They go and look and  ;D they have one in stock.  When they open up the (remember this is fram) box what do you think they see?  A nice looking filter with big green letters on it that say "CROSLAND 457 MADE IN U.K."
Thanks Peter, I'll go and see how I can get this to fit in the housing and report back on that.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 11:03:29 PM »
OK, so I go in to the local auto supply store and give them the Bosch number and their computer comes up empty.  I then tell them I have a Crosland number (457) and the don't think they have ever heard of it but they type it in and it gives them a FRAM number C11860PL.  They go and look and  ;D they have one in stock.  When they open up the (remember this is fram) box what do you think they see?  A nice looking filter with big green letters on it that say "CROSLAND 457 MADE IN U.K."
Thanks Peter, I'll go and see how I can get this to fit in the housing and report back on that.
Stan

Sounds pretty typical! :-))

There has been a big consolidation in the filter business as the car makers wanted better deals from their suppliers. Cooper, Fram Crosland and others are all part of the same group these days, so you may well get another name on the filter in the box.

What you need to make is a threaded shaft that screws into the underneath of the top plate of the filter (It's a METRIC thread) so that the filter its a tight fit on the shaft, and the centre of the shaft is drilled out to pass fluid from the top connector into the filter. You'll need a means of holding the filter onto the shaft, I think I had mine tapped in the bottom end and a spacer and bolt held a washer against the bottom of the filter.

It's simpler to make up than decsribe, and the filter stays original in appearance.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 11:08:37 PM »
OK...here's how it works.

Take the original cast iron fuel filter body apart, take out the filter "wick" (the round snakelike thingy) and take it off the "nut" it uses to screw into the top of the housing.  Throw away the "wick" if it's totally screwed like mine was.   Screw the wick nut back into the top housing.  Take a piece of 7/8" dowel and cut off a piece approx. 5/16" (test fit for your own application) long and glue it to the bottom of the Fram filter (covering the bottom rubber washer) described above.  Use "Seal-All", which is a totally fuel impervious substance that can be used for a multitude of things (smells like old fashioned plastic airplane glue).  Clean the housing and place the filter into it so the  dowel fits in the lower drain plug hole.  You may have to take out the drain plug to do this.  Place the top housing back on the body being careful to fit the nipple down into the rubber gasket on top of the filter.  Tighten the top housing on.  Replace the drain plug which presses the filter hard up on the top fitting.  VOILA as our friends East of the Ottowa River say.
Stan
PS  Alternatively you might find it easier to put the bottom drain plug in tightly first, then put on the top housing and tighten the 4 bolts down to force the filter in place.

Stan

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 11:11:09 PM »
Sorry Peter, I didn't see your posting before I posted mine.  I had thought of getting a machine shop to make me a hollow bolt as you describe but I tried the procedure I described above and it works great!
Stan

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 11:57:32 PM »
I don't need one at the moment, but do want spares. The research all of you have done will make that MUCH easier.
Thanks, Geno

Stan

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 03:15:03 AM »
I was re-reading your post Peter and my setup had the fuel coming in the side (I think they are called Banjo fittings??) fitting and going out the top fitting and then on to the fuel pump.  I went back and checked all the photos I took of it "just the way it came".  Is this not correct and or bad in any way?  It's possible I guess the PO reversed things but the hoses look like that's the way they were supposed to be.  The filter cartridge has the perforated steel in the middle indicating it should have fuel pressure going from the outside to the inside even though there won't be much pressure with the tank just a few inches above it.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 07:44:39 AM »
I was re-reading your post Peter and my setup had the fuel coming in the side (I think they are called Banjo fittings??) fitting and going out the top fitting and then on to the fuel pump.  I went back and checked all the photos I took of it "just the way it came".  Is this not correct and or bad in any way?  It's possible I guess the PO reversed things but the hoses look like that's the way they were supposed to be.  The filter cartridge has the perforated steel in the middle indicating it should have fuel pressure going from the outside to the inside even though there won't be much pressure with the tank just a few inches above it.
Stan

The flow is not critical on this setup, and does in fact go backwards to the original. There is virtually no pressure involved as you say, and the area of the paper element gives very low resistance to flow.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 09:35:38 PM »
I'll try and post a pic of the mods.  At the very least I'll give the url of the photo on coppermine.
Stan
Nope..the pic didn't work.

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
Why didn't you use a spring instead of the wood?
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time