Author Topic: TP Filter Flow Rate  (Read 3787 times)

Geno

• View Profile
TP Filter Flow Rate
« on: November 11, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »
I get 1-1.5 oz. per minute of flow through my Frantz oil filter. More than that blows the seal on it. I guess the low oil temp has a lot to do with the low flow but is it enough. It takes 2-2.5 hrs to filter all the oil once. The Frantz website says the best flow rate is a quart a minute at 180°F. I'm lucky if my oil temp is 100°F in the filter.
Thanks, Geno

gpkull

• View Profile
Re: TP Filter Flow Rate
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 07:28:40 PM »
i was flowing more like  1gpm with veggie at 90 ambient. that was thru a motorgaurd air filter. never did pay for there 6.99 per cartridge tp for me. i also keep blowing the seal between my halves. i put the filter on the suction side. yes my pump will cavitate if i spin it fast enough but im probably around 200 - 250 rpms. i turn my little pump with a 1/2 drill

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:13:49 PM »
Hi In my limited experience with Motorgard filters You are putting too much pressure on the filter.
My mercedes oil puts out 50-60 psi hot, cold it is somewhat more. No Leaks. Except when I get a little TP in the gasket/ "O" ring.
Dennis

PS I just picked up an air filter version at a discount tool place. This is the same casting as the oil filter. The plastic parts will not take high temps and have to be replaced.
The reccomended  pressure in the instructions supplied with it give a max of 80 psi
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:27:26 PM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:08:37 PM »
my intsructions say 125 psi max its also cast in the top half. the oring (quad ring actually) will blow out from between the halves and when that happens oil all over and wads of tp to. never did put a gauge on it but wipe the mess up got old quick. the stuff gos everywhere when the rubber ring gives out. the veggie must be to thick even at 90f. cold i cant even hardly get anything to come thru. that would be a big mess. will have to preheat my oil just to filter but thats ok it still works out cheaper than dino