Author Topic: Large Nordberg stationary diesel pictures  (Read 6556 times)

listerdiesel

Large Nordberg stationary diesel pictures
« on: November 11, 2006, 02:59:08 PM »
We have been in touch with Matt Struble, supervisor of the Bryan, Ohio municipal power dept., and he has sent us a series of pictures of the Nordberg TSG219L generating set that he has under his dept.

Pictures have been put on our website, go to the bottom of the main Nordberg menu page, there are 22 picture pages.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Nordberg/Nordmenu.htm

The generating set is 2.5MW, we have a few queries over descriptions of some items, but it's an interesting piece of machinery.

Peter

Jim Mc

• View Profile
Re: Large Nordberg stationary diesel pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 03:41:51 AM »
NICE set of pictures, Peter.  Thanks for hosting them.

Hmmm.  Not really that far a drive...Sure would be nice to see them running...

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 03:53:31 AM »
I'd love to see these working for a living - and it's only the next state over.  Unfortunately, It's all the way diagonally across ohio from here after driving through pennsylvania for an hour.

Maybe the next time I decide to go to the AF museum I can stop in - that would be a much more manageable drive.

I really am a babe in the woods about these big generator systems.  300 amps @ 125 V just to excite the field!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 03:59:30 AM by aqmxv »
6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:46:47 AM »
I'd love to see these working for a living - and it's only the next state over.  Unfortunately, It's all the way diagonally across ohio from here after driving through pennsylvania for an hour.

Maybe the next time I decide to go to the AF museum I can stop in - that would be a much more manageable drive.

I really am a babe in the woods about these big generator systems.  300 amps @ 125 V just to excite the field!

I remember driving from Muncie IN across to Pittsburg PA and back a few years ago, we stopped at Dayton to spend some time at the AF Museum (we joined the Friends of the Museum) It was a lot further than we thought! 

Now we make a regular detour to the museum when we are at the Portland show in August.

We are hoping to call and see the engines next year, maybe take some more shots while we are there.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 07:55:07 AM »
Just looking at the map, it is just a few miles north-east of Fort Wayne and almost directly west of Auburn.

We fly into Ft Wayne from Detroit or Chicago on the way in, and we always pop into the Auburn Auto museum when we can, so it would make up a decent day to go over to Bryan as well!  The Auburn museum is a must if you are anywhere near, the cars are superb.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 03:10:48 AM »
Hello Petter:

Verry nice pictures....

I can't speak for the US electrical industry or even Canadian surface plant standards but in my little corner of the trades 2300 v power systems were actualy common 30 and 40 years ago. We still have pumps running on 2300, infact I spent 6 hours having a heart to heart with pair of 500 hp dewatering pumps that refused to restart after shut down.

2300 is still nice because you don't need stress cones at the terminations. Later we moved on to 4160 still nice because the terminations are easy, 6900 followed and 13.8 kv became the new standard.

But in the early days it wasn't uncommon to see 2300v non armoured portable power cables strung up in some areas feeding the first generation portable substations, and later we even have sheilded 6900 v cable hanging in some drifts.

Today this all has been replaced with higher voltages for greater efficiency and hi voltage Tech cable for safety.

Personaly I like the 4160 and the small 600 kVA subs easy to set up and the higher reactance of the tranformer and lines keep fault currents low as compared to the new 1333 portables and the monster switch room subs with their 13.8 feeds. The arc flash suits in high heat make you wish for the old days too.

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 08:25:56 AM »
Hello Petter:

Verry nice pictures....

I can't speak for the US electrical industry or even Canadian surface plant standards but in my little corner of the trades 2300 v power systems were actualy common 30 and 40 years ago. We still have pumps running on 2300, infact I spent 6 hours having a heart to heart with pair of 500 hp dewatering pumps that refused to restart after shut down.

2300 is still nice because you don't need stress cones at the terminations. Later we moved on to 4160 still nice because the terminations are easy, 6900 followed and 13.8 kv became the new standard.

But in the early days it wasn't uncommon to see 2300v non armoured portable power cables strung up in some areas feeding the first generation portable substations, and later we even have sheilded 6900 v cable hanging in some drifts.

Today this all has been replaced with higher voltages for greater efficiency and hi voltage Tech cable for safety.

Personaly I like the 4160 and the small 600 kVA subs easy to set up and the higher reactance of the tranformer and lines keep fault currents low as compared to the new 1333 portables and the monster switch room subs with their 13.8 feeds. The arc flash suits in high heat make you wish for the old days too.

Doug

We are pretty much standardised of 415/440V three-phase at street level, 11KV underground in town, or poles in rural areas, then 33KV, 132KV and 256KV 'Supergrid' for the national grid.

Most of our battery/charger units are for 11/33/132 sub,s and we don't 'need' to wear protective clothing as we don't get near the transmission stuff.

Currently (no pun intended!) we are replacing 110V battery sets in some sub's north of London, 33KV/132KV in most cases.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »
Oh Peter your a going to cry when I tell you what the stupid miners did. We had an original 1940's Clayton electric on 3800 level. It quietly sat there off the books for at least a decade but myslef and another electrican serviced the batteries brushes and drum controler. I used it often to move from place to place on the level. There realy is no better way to travel in the mine than by a battery loco.

They tried hauling trucks with the old girl when they removed some steel work and piping and over loaded it braking a gear box. The scrap man came picked it up on deck about 3 months ago....

The bigger units have a trolley line and ran 250 VDC via rectifier stations on the level but those are all gone now all you see are the insulators hanging formthe back in places..

For low vaoltage we use mostly 600 v AC 3 phase industrial, closer to the border in places like Toronto 460 v Amercican power systems are more common.

Local distribution in town ranges from  4160 to 13.8 with residential power being 120/240 Eddison.

Electric trucks suck!
Trains are so cool!

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 08:49:41 AM »
Electric trucks suck!
Trains are so cool!
Doug

The other half of our business is battery chargers for the rail industry. I am in a rail depot most weeks with deliveries/collections of new/repaired/refurbished chargers. Our latest job is with Bombardier where we have converted some near new 240V single phase input chargers that never really worked (not ours!) to 415/440 three-phase. Output is 110V DC at 100A continuous. Going there this morning to commission the first unit.

Re the mine loco, we have all sorts in the UK, and a lot of older small gauge units which Ruston & Hornsby built, some with Lister and later ones with their own engines.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 08:51:55 AM »
We have a standing invitation to visit the plant on our trip to Portland, IN., next August, so look out for more pictures then.

We have also corrected a few of the picture headings after input from Matt Struble.

Peter