Puppeteer

Author Topic: 3 phase converters  (Read 7856 times)

Doug

Re: 3 phase converters
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 02:05:01 AM »
Give me a couple of days and I'll draw up something for you that you can build up on the cheap.

Doug

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 11:07:48 PM »
doug do appreciate. i do know about the starter set up with two relays. timing and a push button is ok for now. saw on the other a fair place to start with uf for balancing. will putter around till you post again. not in a big hurry to burn up my 2spd motor. a buddy give me a 2hp 3ph with a love joy connected to a 1 1/2 hp single phase. he said this will work, not so. all i got was the same as before only with less current draw as i think about it nothing is different other than the starting tech.     i think the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again everyday expecting different results.  will see watt you got to brew up when the time is right. tks

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 01:05:17 AM »
gpkull--

I ran my 5 HP lathe, 5HP bandsaw, 2HP surface grinder and and 3HP millng machine for 15 years on a 7 1/2HP 3 phase motor that I put a 4 inch 'flywheel' on and rope started it....wrap rope, pull rope, hit magnetic switch and the 'slave' motor was running.  It would start and run all the machines *except* the lathe at the highest (1500) rpm setting.
  I'm a one man shop and several times I ran a total of 10 HP with no smoke or chittlins.

(yes, I speak Southernese)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 02:42:19 AM »
i have the 3phase balanced out now. i am running static with an idler (7.5hp) with a total of 215 mf to correct the voltage on the generated leg.  phase o matic helped with the getting it right and they were right. i was told 4.4 amps per leg is what my lathe should draw max.a trip to the right place a twin of mine is drawing 7 per that where im at. the 4.4 must be the high voltage setup as amps 1/2 as voltage doubles.   cannot fire the 7.5 with the caps to correct the voltage hooked up. must  get the idler up to spe
ed before correction caps can be hooked up. also idler pulls 12amps unloaded put the caps in line and the amp draw goes to 4 on the primary    HOTATER  your slave is my idler and yes a rope to start would work but if you use 70 to 100 mf per hp of motor on your start up your 3 phase motor (SLAVE OR IDLER ) will start on single phase you have to drop the line with caps shortly after start up or the inrush will trip breakers 

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 02:49:25 AM »
thanks gpkull, but I  UNDERSTAND rope....I don't have a CLUE what that other stuff is or how it works.   ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 03:03:57 PM »
the caps to balance voltage do just that. the generated leg was 208v - 187v with a load.  low volts means high current draw (amps) with the caps (short for capacitor) the leg got up to 235v with a load. its merely a balancing act with electricity as i said before i knew just enough to get me in trouble. but with a little help im over that now