Puppeteer

Author Topic: Petteroid 25/2 $886 v.s Listeroid 24/2 $1699 ????????????  (Read 7327 times)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Petteroid 25/2 $886 v.s Listeroid 24/2 $1699 ????????????
« on: October 31, 2006, 01:40:03 AM »
  Unless I'm missing the obvious ???? Our friends at Anand are quoting $886 ;D for a 25/2 Petteroid and $1699  :)for a 24/2 Listeroid? How can there be such a price difference on what is relatively similar equipment, materials, manufacturing and shipping???

Mr X

• View Profile
Re: Petteroid 25/2 $886 v.s Listeroid 24/2 $1699 ????????????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 01:55:07 AM »
They include more sand in the listeroid.
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

Doug

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:42:25 AM »
I think part of the difference is based on the amount of Iron needed to make a Lister VS a Petter.
I think the Petteroids are a higher production engine so the per unit cost to manufacture is lower ( just a guess but it look slike more people in that partof the world use a Petter because of its portability ).
And lastly the cost of a Petter is also determined by what you want in it and the level of QC that goes into manufacture. A lot of the Indian builders are trying to build better Listeroids, and know what we are asking for.
The Petters may still be low end units made from run of the mill parts.

You realy would not believe how much you can have built into a Petteroid if you ask for it. My single 10/1 Petteroid cost as much as the twin you were quoted, so I have to ask what are you getting for the that?

Just some thoughts here but what class of governer does it have?
TRB?
Steel or iron gears in the valve train?
Oil filtration?
Presure fed oil to rocker shaft?
ect... ect...

I realy think before you order a Petter from Anand you ask about the coice of valve train components.
I am not very impressed with the machining of the cam gear on my spare cam.
The valve stem taper lock keepers on three sets of valves are not acceptable in my opinion and actualy have to be replaced of at the very least hand worked with a file. And I have one set of brand new guides in my Powerline that are no good the fit is too loose and this caused the machining step to cut the valve seats to screwed up.

I would also sugest you order at least a complete set of 5/16 WF studs, nuts and bolts with the engine. These are things you will pay over $4.00 a peice for here in Canada if you have a problem and I have had 6 studs strip for reasons Atul and I are still looking into ( looks like a case of paint acting as a thread locker and the paint stripper I used was not agressive enough to desolve it ).

There may be some heat treating issues with the injection pump rocker arm, I'm waiting to get it into the machine shop and find out why I have machining marks transfered from the piston the rocker face.

Get cam bearing as well as full mains and order extra head gaskets....

Infact if you are going to place an order for engine with Anand please let me know, because I would like to kick a few bucks and order some more of the things I just mentioned if your going to have some crates coming to Ontario.

Anand/PEC run premium engines for 3 hours at the works to make sure they have no isues. I would have to say this shows its obvious special attention went into my engine but there are still issues that need to be resolved.

Valve stem seals are something I am told by my machine shop are something I should have asked for....

Doug

Still happy with my purchase, but the learning curve is steep. Keep asking questions before you put the money down...

IMPORTNAT:
Make sure the engine is drained of water before leaving India, remind them....
Mine arived in Sudbury with water in September.

If you buy a 20-2 Petteroid based on a 102 piston and 116 crank we will have common parts, somnething to think about....

If you order an engine ask about a bracket and gear hobled fly wheel, mine uses a clone of a Bosch starter you can get easily in Canada at a rebuild shop.

So many things, I'd like to share and so little time to type tonight.....

The more I thnk about it based on my own experience and previous quotes from Anand $886 for a 25-2 is too low. Something is wrong with that quote you best talk to Atul again, but it sees to me a 25-2 would have cost over 1000 when I placed my order and Iron/shipping have gone up significantly.

Doug
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 02:48:18 AM by Doug »

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:15:33 PM »
  Thanks Doug.
   It will be early in the New Year before placing an order. I just bought a tractor and loader for the hobby farm. And higher in priority is getting one or two 40KW or larger single phase 120/240 ST generators. For all they cost I may as well get a 40KW three phase as well.  At least one will get belted up from 540 rpm pto to 1800 rpm. 
   The quality control problems and requirement to pull either the Listeroid or Petteroid engine's apart and blue print every little piece is annoying. I may as well purchase a 239 cu in four cylinder Deere that's gathering dust locally. I won't be in any more bucks tearing it apart and repairing/replacing what is required. 55HP at 1800 rpm too. 
  I still like the putt putt sound of the Listeroid or even a Petteroid slowed down a little. It's not a matter of if, just when.
  I asked our friend about optional parts for both the Listeroid and the Petteroid. There was a full list for the Listeroid but zilch for the Petteroid?
  I like the concept of keeping to the classic engine dimensions is certainly something to consider. Then again 20HP is on the very bottom end of the power levels needed here.
  I contacted the local Koel dealer in North York. Apparently he recently quit dealing with the Koel Company?   

Doug

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:30:02 PM »
Yes the fellow you were speaking with deals in Pumps. There is another company importing KOEL HA series engines for generators but Rajiv the KOEL sales rep in India never gave me the name and I haven't received a reply from KOEL since August. We're a small market and I don't think KOEL wants to be known as a Lister/Petter clone builder here.

There just aren't many Petters in Canada if a 20 is too small I can understand that, but reality is these things will need parts and there are only 2 others here you can call on for help ( Altopro still has a Petter thats the other, he hasn't sold it. Its a junk motor but at some point he may be open to braking it up for parts ). On a further note Atul and I are still discussing some of the issues with my engine, perhaps you will benifit from this and get one that truely has no issues.

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 08:05:50 AM »

Steel or iron gears in the valve train?

Doug

(curiosity mode)

Listers always had cast iron gears, was there a reason for asking that?

Peter

Doug

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:55:43 PM »
I was speaking of the Petteroids Peter.

I don't know if the AV and P had as standard an iron or steel gear set in the cam shaft and crank. India offer this option for those who wish to use the cam output shaft for 1/2 speed at full engine rated power ( at this stage based on information from you I am assuming the bigger Petter types are based at least in part on the P series with the 110 and larger strokes ). I assume since the longer strokes and higher power rating of the Indian single engines put more of a torque load on the gears this might be a wise choice for some.

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 04:16:51 AM »
I was speaking of the Petteroids Peter.

I don't know if the AV and P had as standard an iron or steel gear set in the cam shaft and crank. India offer this option for those who wish to use the cam output shaft for 1/2 speed at full engine rated power ( at this stage based on information from you I am assuming the bigger Petter types are based at least in part on the P series with the 110 and larger strokes ). I assume since the longer strokes and higher power rating of the Indian single engines put more of a torque load on the gears this might be a wise choice for some.

Doug

I'll check on the Petter AVBLAB/AVLAB parts we have, I think they are steel by memory but a visual check would be better! :-))

Peter