Author Topic: Generator head from a SOM problem  (Read 5833 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Generator head from a SOM problem
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:28:47 PM »
The guy rewiring my SOM Genhead just called.... yeah 2 months late

He is having problems figuring it out... so I sent him the tech specs, but he still has problems.

All I want to do is hook a battery to it for starting, and produce AC energy.  Seems to me the VDC out I could use with a switch to activate the SOM exhaust hold and fuel hold device.

I have none of the originial LISTER SOM Boxes

Anyone have any ideas how to make this work??  Cheers

Andrew
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Geno

• View Profile
Re: Generator head from a SOM problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:30:38 PM »
I have a Lister SOM manual in .pdf format. It has the schematics. Want a copy?

Thanks, Geno

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:34:48 AM »
thanks I have one

it does not help me with running in a min config

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:32:58 AM »
PM me your email....

Let me see the print and perhaps I can help. This might be somethink like the the old Stude era Onans....

Doug

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »
Mine has three large terminals on the outside. One of them (right hand) is grounded and is the battery negative connection. The left one is battery positive. Inside the box it goes to one end of a big fuse. The other end of the fuse goes to the third terminal (unused) and also to a round solenoid (heavy cable). From the solenoid is another heavy cable which goes through the bottom of the box and into the alternator.  A third terminal on the solenoid is the 'trigger'. It is connected to battery positive via an external  pushbutton which is mounted on a panel in the house in our case. Also on the panel is a toggle switch which activates the fuel/compression solenoid on the engine. So, we have a +24v. feed from the generator shed to the house and 2 wires coming back from the panel to the shed. One goes directly to the alternator solenoid and the other goes via a relay to the solenoid on the engine. The relay really is neccessary on acount of the relatively high current in this circuit and the 60-metre round trip.
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:14:19 PM »
The 24 volt starting circuit is the big fat wire that comes out of the alternator body that is battery positive.
Another big fat wire connects to earth on the alternator casing this wire is battery negative.
Connect these 2 wires to a 24 volt battery and your alternator should spin.

The AC is supplied from the slip rings one of them is connected to directly to earth this wire is 230volt neutral
The other slip ring bush supplies the 230volt live.
To get the set to produce AC you need to energise the main field winding from the DC part of the circuit
This is done by taking power from the positive DC brush and feeding it through a big adjustable resistor(15 ohms 4amps

One of the dc brushes is connected to earth
the other brush

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:40:43 PM »
thanks thats the information the guy is looking for

:)

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 12:05:48 AM »
The 24 volt starting circuit is the big fat wire that comes out of the alternator body that is battery positive.
Another big fat wire connects to earth on the alternator casing this wire is battery negative.
Connect these 2 wires to a 24 volt battery and your alternator should spin.

The AC is supplied from the slip rings one of them is connected to directly to earth this wire is 230volt neutral
The other slip ring bush supplies the 230volt live.
To get the set to produce AC you need to energise the main field winding from the DC part of the circuit
This is done by taking power from the positive DC brush and feeding it through a big adjustable resistor(15 ohms 4amps on my 2.5kw head) in to the main field winding. The other DC brush is connected to earth.
This should make the set produce AC adjust the big resistor to set the low load voltage

The auxilliary field windings adjust the AC at high load and the set will work without them connected but voltage might drop a bit at full load

The fuel control solonoid can be manualy operated by pulling back the bell crank lever and jamming a piece of wood in between it and the top of the coil case. Just pull the bit of wood out when you want to stop your set.

Do you actually want to get the unit working as a startomatic or just electric start, battery charging and run.
If you only want the electric start and charge and run option this can be easily achieved with a minimum of reasonably easy to get componants that could all fit into the top box.

I hope this info is of some use I would post some photos  and wiring diagrams if I could work out how to do it.

Mick

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 02:17:23 AM »
Hi Mick

Id love it to be a SOM complete, but without all the additional hardware, Ill go for electric start and generate.... Manual intervention is fine by me

Andrew

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 08:45:31 PM »
Well dropped the users manual for the SOM today at the Genhead repair shop.  He started reading and got excited as it made sense to him.  hope to have it returned next week so I can see how she works.  Still looking to source a Fuel tank for it - start up/shutdown - with diesel.  Have a tank with Hydrulic fluid

cheers

Andrew