Author Topic: new hydrogen fueled car... stuff that oil OPEC  (Read 6669 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
new hydrogen fueled car... stuff that oil OPEC
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:10:32 AM »
I know this is not oil or old style heavy iron but I thought this was really kewl

http://www.youtube.com/v/ry6w3mRm-FM

And thank you GM
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

Re: new hydrogen fueled car... stuff that oil OPEC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 01:31:40 AM »
Yup its cool...

Pitty that we have hydrogen shortage lol

I mean no cheap we to make transport and store.

Doug

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 01:39:22 AM »
did they not say sea water in  fresh water out??  No batteries
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:54:19 AM »
I been thinkin about hydrogen manufacturing and storing...
Lemme run it by you guys..
The easiest way to make pollution free hydrogen is with electricity..
The cleanest way to make electricity is with solar...or wind...
You put a megawatt windmill near a HUGE unused flooded mine...and pumped the hydrogen made into the capped and sealed mine..no air..
Now this hydrogen would only be pumped into the mine at a reduced pressure...just displacing the water....
Mines are located on railways....after the hydrogen has sold....then pump it up too the required storage pressure and ship by rail...
And make sure the train is hydrogen powered also....

Cheers..
Tug

« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:40:13 AM by Tugger »

Doug

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 02:42:31 AM »
Nice idea but mines are full of holes, seriously. We drill into everything, there are slips and fractures, we even have a mildly angery fault line in my mine....
Hydrogen also because the Atoms are so small naturaly slips threw holes other heavier gases can't so the tanks and joints have to rated for it.
Making hydrogen is also wasteful you loose a lot of energy in heat. It might be more feasable and cost effective to use wind farms to supliment our grid electricity.

I remember read about a thermal method of extracting hydrogen form water that used Carbon + Heat from a solar collector to produce C0 + H2 ( endothermic reaction ). But I can't rememeber how they regenerated the carbon to free the oxygen. And I don't know how efficient it was comapred to other solar power systems.

Doug

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 03:03:33 AM »
Nice idea but mines are full of holes, seriously. We drill into everything, there are slips and fractures, we even have a mildly angery fault line in my mine....
Hydrogen also because the Atoms are so small naturaly slips threw holes other heavier gases can't so the tanks and joints have to rated for it.
So there would be no way to seal the mine to trap the hydrogen...
it really wouldnt matter if it filled all the cracks..as long as they didnt all lead to the surface....

Doug

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 03:11:58 AM »
Well I'll tell you something now you have me thinking....

We had a large underground compressor plant ( realy big 6 2000 hp units ). We recycled an old drift on 6000, shot some bulk heads and renamed it the C-H compressed air storage. This was a huge underground 150 PSI air tank. So maybe you idea isn't so crazy after all. I supose one could slip form a a drift and line it with some sort hydrogen impermeable material for low presure storage of gas....

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 04:29:10 AM »
It's estimated that only .0001 of one percent of natural hydrogen sticks around long enough for us to find it and recover it.  Storage underground works in a natural gas field, but nowhere else without sealing of some kind.

So you want to use energy to make windmills and solar panel to make energy to extract a gas that occurs natually and is already 'in storage' and under pressure with pipelines and compressor plants already operating .....why?? 

??? ???
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 05:19:29 AM »
If we could find a way to stabilise hydrogen into some easily portable, high power density fuel source, we'd be right.
Metal hydrides are interesting, but there's still a few issues to sort out.

I hear that if you could somehow bond hydrogen molecules into long chains with carbon at approximately a 2:1 ratio - similar to butane, but longer, with more carbon atoms -  it'd be a very effective fuel source and all issues with storage and transport are easily handled with today's equipment.

;D