Puppeteer

Author Topic: Gen Heads  (Read 7746 times)

Beewrangler

• View Profile
Gen Heads
« on: February 01, 2006, 06:35:31 PM »
 What are the brands of gen heads most are using? Pros, cons, Things or brands you might do differntly.  Thanks

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Gen Heads
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 07:25:50 PM »
I've got an ST5. I'm not to impressed with the workmanship in the slip rings. They are not installed exactly straight, square or concentric to the shaft. We'll see how the bushes hold up. Also the rectifier burned out the first time I applied a load. It's now been upgraded to a solid state unit.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Doug

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 02:30:46 AM »
I did a little home work and found out India also has its own standard generator head....

http://www.kissangroup.com/kissan_iron_works/product/spare_parts.htm

A closer look will show this is a stationary field machine.
It looks like most of the gensets sold in India use this head type. And from what I'm told they do a good job building them. Down side they cost triple sitting at the dock than the Chinese units because they are a more labour intensive machine to build.
But, and its a big one....
They could easily add a commutator to this and create the holy grail of generator heads for you Lister fans the Start-O-Matic.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 06:24:13 AM »
Hmm....

Me thinks the Indian genheads are here.

http://www.rockymountainpowersource.com/AC-Alternators.html

Doug

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 06:56:09 PM »
Doug,

I think that picture is just another Chinese ST.  An Alibaba search will find scores of companies offering them:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?IndexArea=offer_en&SearchText=ST+generator

Ken

GerryH

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 12:35:59 AM »
Tom,
If you are going through your 6/1 engine and checking and correcting all the little flaws inherant in the manufactureing, consider spending 1 hour taking the ST-5 apart. Replacing the bearings with sealed units will cost you about $67 dollars, and while you are at it get some machinist to put it in the lathe for the under 5 minute task of truing the rings. After this you will have a quiet, dependable unit which doesn't squeal from the brushes. Replacing the wierd rectifier with a Radio Shack full wave bridge rectifier is a no brainer as well and will cost $4.55 as you found out. I am sure with fresh quality bearings the parasitic load on the engine is less, as well. The sizes you need are bearing #6309 on shaft side, #6307 on the slip ring side.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 04:30:58 AM »
I thought about doing that, but it is out in the woods at the job site now. I've been checking the bearings for signs of warmth and none yet however things could be quieter. Since you gave me the numbers I think I'll plan ahead and get new set of bearings and plan on changing them soon.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 10:53:41 PM »
Eric at rocky mountain powersourse has some of the indian generator heads. They do have stationary fields and are supposedly more efficient than the chinese ones. He has an st-5 that he uses to power his house, and it has over 5000 hours on it and has never been touched yet. It's still on the origional brushes. The rings on my st-12 are straight as far as I can tell. The only problem was a bunch of metal sand/casting flash in the bearings. I cleaned and repacked with good grease and so far they are fine. It only has a few hours on it though.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

cranelift

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 11:28:34 PM »
 Hi Men
  I just pulled the bearings on my 8kw. I fired it up once and was appalled at the sound that came from it. A good cleaning and repack with synthetic grease and emery paper the slip rings, no more noise. I was disapointed to find I had the plastic fan as I thought the one I was getting was all cast iron. Is it nomal to balance the set by bolting weights to the plastic fan? ???  Anyone else seen that technique?
Powerline 12/2  8KW st head

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 02:18:44 AM »
I have a plastic fan with some flat rectangular metal pieces bolted to it. I just replaced the open bearings with sealed ones. The rings look a little rough. Hard to tell if it is out of round though. I am tempted to take the 100lb? (15kw) rotor to a machinist to tighten up. Can anybody reccommend one if the Ft Myers Florida area?

Doug

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 03:40:27 AM »
Nope its what it thought it was, Indian....
I asked.

Doug