Author Topic: Isuzu c201 diesel engine from reefer unit  (Read 58772 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Isuzu c201 diesel engine from reefer unit
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 12:25:47 PM »
After some waiting fior the seller to remove the reefer from the trailer and pull the engine for me I am expecting the engine to be delivered today.  I`ll keep you posted on what shows up.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
I was mistaken, it is a Mercedes Benz engine.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 03:09:46 AM »
PM mail is not working because this forum has a socket open or some such error.  Can the administrator please fix it?

Mobile Bob, can you please come back in I tried to reach you but do not have your email address.  Would appreciate tapping your extensive experience base, again.  :)

OK guys.  I made an error identifying the engine in that reefer unit.  It looked a lot like the Isuzu picture I saw on the web from what I could see during the field inspection and given some distortion introduced from mental pause issues. I should have taken my camera.  I now have the engine in my possession and it looks like it is really built well but it is a Mercedes Benz Model OM636.944.  The ID plate rates the engine as a 2400 RPM machine but the horsepower portion of the same tag is left blanc.

Brief description.  Cast iron head and block.  Glow plugs, many frost plugs on both block and all along bottom of cylinder head.  Big 17 quart type oil pan which is also the front two motor mounts.  Although 4 cylinders there are only two exterior exhaust ports out of the head.  Simplifies the exhaust maifold.  Same deal with intake air on the opposite side.  This engine is going to be a cakewalk mounting on a genset frame.  I also have the bellhousing and two cylinder compressor still attached.  Got the control panel, unique radiator and muffler as well.

The engine doesn`t look like it water froze and has green antifreeze in it but the crank will not turn.  I have not been able to get the oil fill cap unscrewed to see what is in the pan.  It is stuck.  I hope if something is siezed it is the compressor and not the engine!

I have pictures I can email but unfortunately cannot post them here.

Can anyone provide info on this engine?  Google turns up nothing helpful.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:11:22 AM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 06:15:47 AM »
i typed a reply only to have some fsocket open!!!
than it was gone..

bob g
notblueeyes (at) hotmail.com
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

unimogr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 05:44:50 PM »
RCA,

I'm a Mercedes diesel guy, I have a couple OM636s in my collection.  I have the service manuals for the entire line of OM636 plus the book do appear on eBay a few times a year.

The 636 is a very proven engine, they started production around 1949-50 and the last engines rolled off the line in the early 1990's I think.  They were used in everything from cars (180D) to trucks (Unimog 401/411) to refer units.  Most engines came with a pneumatic governor but a few like yours were mechanical type.

They are pretty good when it comes to cold weather starting but don't expect it to start like a VW TDI when it's -30C outside.

Power wise they are not blessed, but being a solid cast iron engine they do last a long time.  A friend has a Unimog that has logged over 10000 hours I think and the engine is still going strong. 

Parts are easily purchased through any Mercedes car dealership, just tell them the engine is from a 1953 180D and they'll be able to look it up.  I know the refer engines are different on the outside compared to the other versions, but the core parts should be the same.

If you ever want to get rid of it please let me know, I'm over in Bradford right between Barrie and Newmarket.

Jason