Author Topic: Rott k9's JP18/2  (Read 3314 times)

snail

• View Profile
Rott k9's JP18/2
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:14:44 AM »
 There are photos on coppermine posted by "rottk9" of a Lister JP18/2.
Would the aforementioned Rott please raise his hand? I would like to know a lot more about these engines as they seem to have a few advantages over a typical CS.Please fill us in with the details!

Cheers,

Brian

listerdiesel

Re: Rott k9's JP18/2
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »
There are photos on coppermine posted by "rottk9" of a Lister JP18/2.
Would the aforementioned Rott please raise his hand? I would like to know a lot more about these engines as they seem to have a few advantages over a typical CS.Please fill us in with the details!

Cheers,

Brian

Interestingly, we never got our hands on a single or a twin JP, although we have a JK4 sitting up the farm.

Factory data sheets are at:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/spec.htm

Scroll down the menu page, there are 4 sheets for the JP2.

The engine in the pictures looks like an earlier engine, and with a 'CS' prefix it looks like it starts 314-- so 1938 production year.

The JP was the first diesel made by Lister, followed by the 5/1, CD, CE and so on. It had a complicated cross-drive for the injection pump which shows nicely in the pictures, I don't think it was a problem in service, just unusual. Imagine the JP6 pump on there...

The big snag IMO is that the block and crankcase are integral, and if you can get the liners out then fine, but otherwise they can be a problem.

CD/CE liners are 'similar' and can be converted from one to the other but not backwards, I'll check on which way they go.

Injection parts still available, no problem with getting them, especially nozzles (which we have stock of)

It's a heavy old lump but pretty bullet-proof. Only a single flywheel like the FR, and the crankshaft diameter at the starting handle end is 2-1/2" by memory, the starting handle is massive!

Parts books and manuals come up quite regularly on ebay, there was a later version - the JK, and a still later version of that - JS.

I'd still like one to play with, but as I said before the singles and twins are relatively rare in the UK. 3's and 4's are 'relatively' plentiful on WWII searchlight sets, 6's are mainly marine propulsion, I haven't seen a stationary 6 although I am sure there is probably one sitting somewhere.

Peter

rottk9

• View Profile
Re: Rott k9's JP18/2
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
sorry everyone, its taken me 2 years to get back to this site, not sure what happened, i can no longer  access my pictures in coppermine, so i will repost a link to them here when i get a chance, i have to take some new pictures of the 18/2 lister witht the generator attatched as well.
feel free to email me ior leave another post if you have any questions.