Author Topic: Overseas Lister engine production  (Read 5030 times)

listerdiesel

Overseas Lister engine production
« on: October 03, 2006, 11:25:21 AM »
I have been trying to sort out what was done 'officially' by Lister and what was not in terms of engines produced outside Dursley/Cinderford. Many opinions are given as to what happened on the sub-continent, but a lot was legend rather than fact.

Talking with David Harris this morning, he has confirmed my stated view that Lister never set up any Indian production facilities for the 5/1 and variants, and later engines. What is being made is purely ripped off from the original designs with changes like the taper roller bearings to suit local manufacturing (or lack of it!)

Lister did send a representative out to look at the growing business many years ago, but the quality of the product then, led them to believe that it was not worth getting involved with and they left it alone.

Tales of kids sitting in the gutter making/cutting pushrods and castings graded and distributed on a quality basis to one of three factories abound.  Early crankshafts were cast and had enormous flaws which led to many early failures, but a lot of that is history now. although it makes interesting reading...  I spent a lot of time in Delhi, and their production facilities were pretty grim to say the least, although my time was in the early 1980's.

Argentina was the first official Lister overseas production sites, then later on, Malaysia, Morocco,and  South Africa. The USA was a special case, and Listerset up production facilities in WWII with Nordberg. Wisconsin engines were in there somewhere as part of the organisation, Le Roi licensed one of their designs which became the G1 and G2 Lister and so on.

According to one source, one of the Indian companies went to a UK trade show with Indian-made Lister spares, at which Lister and Petter were exhibiting. They were shown the door. Spares continue to be made in Turkey of all places, where the CD/CE and FR engines are still popular, as are the 5/1 and variants.

Nordberg made the CD and CE engines, initially from kits but later full production was assumed and they were sold as "Lister-Blackstone". Genuine USA-built engines have US threads instead of Whitworth and BSF, and carry a separate run of 4-digit numbers.

The Changed Number book has separate pages for the USA-built CD and CE engines.

Must get some work done now! :-))

Peter

CD in BC

• View Profile
Re: Overseas Lister engine production
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 07:23:29 PM »
Does anyone have a name or any info on where and by who Lister CD/CE and FR parts are made in Turkey?

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 08:35:01 PM »
Does anyone have a name or any info on where and by who Lister CD/CE and FR parts are made in Turkey?

Until I sold the bearing set, I had the details on the wrappers, but I can ask David Harris and see if he has any contacts.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »
Driving into Didema (sp??) Turkey from the South, (its on the south west coast)  there are acres and acres of orchards with large and very tall posts with propellers on them to generate a breeze which keeps the frost from settleing on the orange trees.  There are maybe 2 or 3 of these per acre.  At the bottom of each pole (rougly the size of telephone poles in Canada) there is a lister CS sitting hooked up to a verticle drive shaft.  On some of the more "progressive" orchards there are onans sitting up on top of the poles.  Saw them this fall.  Made me drool!
Stan

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 02:00:37 AM »
Driving into Didema (sp??) Turkey from the South, (its on the south west coast)  there are acres and acres of orchards with large and very tall posts with propellers on them to generate a breeze which keeps the frost from settleing on the orange trees.  There are maybe 2 or 3 of these per acre.  At the bottom of each pole (rougly the size of telephone poles in Canada) there is a lister CS sitting hooked up to a verticle drive shaft.  On some of the more "progressive" orchards there are onans sitting up on top of the poles.  Saw them this fall.  Made me drool!
Stan

They do something like that here on a bigger scale.  Last year a company put in a large windfarm consisting of 45, 1.5 megawatt turbines.  I can see 15 of them from my house.  One is about 1/4 mile away.  These behemoths have a 250 foot diameter 3 blade prop and stand as tall as a 40 storey building.  I have a Davis computerized weather station with annemometer on a 95 foot tower to see what the wind is doing.  Many times I see the weather station anemometer not spinning, nary a leaf moving in the still air and the wind farm turbines are spinning.  Unlike the example given in Turkey that uses a Listeroid at the base of each large fan, ours use grid electricity generated by burning coal.  I`d hate to think what it costs to spin a fan blade that large.  I just shake my head. :'(

edit to correct spelling misteak
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:34:31 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 07:20:45 PM »

Until I sold the bearing set, I had the details on the wrappers, but I can ask David Harris and see if he has any contacts.

Peter

No luck on this I suppose Peter?