Author Topic: How to kill yourself (or someone else) with a Lister(oid)  (Read 29885 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: How to kill yourself (or someone else) with a Lister(oid)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 02:10:49 AM »
You  know, there are some REALLY foul and evil people who post on this forum.  They continually muddy and roil the "waters", and leave a trail of slime and hatred every-time and every-where they post.

Last year, there were just over 43,000 people killed in motor vehicle crashes in the USA, and another 2, 700,000 people injured.

There are about 1,000 railroad fatalities every year in the USA.

Now, how many persons were killed and/or injured in flywheel explosions????   I could only find one recent related event, and that was  in 1999, a youngster pulled into a rotating PTO on a tractor. Not even a flywheel explosion, was it?

Let's get real about the "dangerous" flywheels. We have at least two instances of the 1500 RPM Minipetters being operated at or near 4,000 rpm, and guess what? No flywheel explosions. George at utterpower has heard of one (maybe) flywheel explosion in New Zealand on a GM90 16 or 20 HP single with HUGE flywheels being operated at several times the recommended max rim speed.

The engineered safety standard is about 4 to 1 for the Listeroids.

This subject as been absolutely beaten to death in this forum and others.

If you want to cut your fatality/injury risks, quite driving. It is that simple.

Let's please quit the BS about flywheels., because that is all it is, BS!

I'm sorry, I thought I was talking to people who could speak english.

I guess you completely missed the bit about never having heard of a fire / combustion / explosion based oxy acetylene accident, ever, yet it now being a very expensive and very difficult to rent oxy acetylene bottles AT ALL, and unless you meet a whole load of other criteria about storage and use ILLEGAL TOO.

When Ford are allowed to sell you a car thrown together with exactly ZERO commercially recognized quality assurance, and when you learn about the folly of comparing the statistics of something hundreds of millions of people do every day to something a few thousand people do ocassionally you can throw up smoke and mirrors like that and it may mean something.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Doug

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 02:16:13 AM »
Now the Haggas is in the fire.....

Doug

Please lets not let this turn ugly.

Timbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 02:47:26 AM »
Kinda hate to play devil's advocate, but does anyone truly know of anybody seriously injured by one of these things?

We live in a society that is becoming more and more risk averse - why are we fanning the risk flame by insinuating that these things are more dangerous than they really are?

I am a pilot, have my SCUBA certification, kayak and do other supposedly dangerous activities, and have a healthy respect for these tasks.  I have all my limbs/fingers, etc.  I know other pilots who have died in aircraft accidents, and one of my best friends was killed kayaking - but at the same time I know several people who have died in automobile accidents.  I know of no one who has died in a stationary machinery accident.

I agree that machinery needs to be respected, but the tone of this thread is that it's only a matter of time before you kill yourself/someone else unless you do exactly like I command.  I am troubled by that.  Maybe it's a US/European thing where people in the US take greater responsibility for their actions and actively rebel against the nanny state - Maybe not.

Any smokers here?  How about people who are overweight?

Let's try to put the true risks into some sort of perspective.

Timbo

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 02:49:14 AM »
I wish you'd stop clouding the issue with "clouding the issue" comments.  I have trouble keeping up with what the issue is. Someone keeps changing it. Anyway, let me check over your reply. Hmmm. We seem to be in agreement on some issues. That's disturbing.  ;D

Ok, I'll post this, and then I really need to get to bed.

Unless you have x-ray vision, literally, you have no fucking idea how good or bad a weld is.....

You don't need xray vision to check welds for defects. Did lister x-ray their metal bases and their welds? Who's to say they had people that could weld half a damn? Only the fact that their welds held together under the loads they were presented with. I could say the same thing about my welds doing the same, but it's clouding the issue, I guess.

It would be nice to be certain as in 100% God-damn-fucking-certain-because-we're-launching-this-thing-to-orbit-next-week. But there are other alternatives. You can crack test without it, you can load the frame to check for non-fatigue failure (i.e. birdshit welding), you can simply observe any outside changes - as you should be , when you're doing your regular maintenance - and if the thing doesn't tear off in your 50 hour stress test, it's "adequate" to the point that you keep an eye on your frame, like you keep an eye on everything else.  Again , if this was a commercial enterprise and lots of this design were to be sold, I would take it further with extended trials over many frames and engines to ensure enough hours are there to be deemed adequate. Enough evidence that if something did fail by chance and hurt someone, that I'd be able to stand in the dock and say, "I fulfilled my obligations with regards to my duty of care to the best of my ability, here's my test data on the frame." Like it or not, those obligations are different if you're in business compared to a guy in his backyard. It would be nice if the backyard guy could at least try and do the same.

Lister welders were time served, so they could weld worth a damn, also their work went through QA before being signed off.

Yeah, you can use crack testing a loading deflections, but these are as likely as lab oil analysis to the people who use these forums, won't happen, ever, because it doesn't fit into their plans.

I note no comment about the fundametally different design of a lister welded base and the stuff people are throwing together here, or the relative lengths of seam or weights of deposited material.

But you still do not get it.

50 hours don't tell you shit, we are talking about fatugue here, and fatigue is something that happens over time.

650 rpm
60 minutes in an hour
50 hours

650 x 60 x 50 = 1,950,000

2 million cycles is meaningless in terms of fatigue.

All you will catch in 2 million cycles is the truly dismally inadequate crap, it won't tell you a damn thing about the really dangerous long term fatigue stuff, you need about 100 million cycles to even begin to approach the decreasing curve on one side of the fatigue graph, that's 2500 hours at 650 rpm, at that point you can, with a big dose of salt, start to get some idea of how steep that curve is.

I repeat, a million cycles puts you FIRMLY on the curve for ALL ferrous materials, by definition if you are on the curve you have no idea where it bottoms out, 100 million cycles (10 to the 8th power) are normal testing regimen to ascertain if you have hit the flat part of the curve.

The nature of fatigue is unless you literally deconstruct the component in question, you cannot tell what fatigue it has suffered, schroedingers cat and the black box.

Refuse to bolt the Lister to a large mass solidly and you guarantee the stresses that cause fatigue are cincentrated indide the engine, use isolastic or rubber mounts and you not only guarantee the above, you also introduce frequency shifting and harmonics, thus complicating the fatigue picture immeasurably.

I can speculate and say that doing so will increase the amplitude of such stresses when said waveforms coincide and reinforce each other by a factor of 100. I might be right and I might be wrong, but there is no way on this earth for you to prove me wrong.

The only way to guarantee this never happens is bolt solid to concrete blocks, then if human comfort is an issue isolate the whole shebang.

Or, build it your way, and run it at full load for 2500 hours. If after 2500 hours inspection shows precisely ZERO changes of any kind to motor, rubber mounts or frame then maybe you were right, or maybe you have to wait another 2500 hours for it to show up or that "perfect storm" condition to appear.

I don't see your "launch her into orbit next week" comment has any validity at all, there are any number of potentially complex engineering tasks that do not get the suck it and see approach, but are always done right guaranteed to fly first time every time, car brakes are an obvious example, elevators and aeroplanes are a mission critical example.

A gallon of water weighs about ten pounds.

A lister gen set + concrete block + small barge structure will weigh less than 5000 lbs, or displace 500 gallons of water, so a flat 1000 gallon pool will float a barge weighing 5000 pounds with ease.

Failure mode if the water evaporates of leaks is the barge settles onto rubber bunpers set into the floor and become the basic default lister set up

Until then you will get ZERO vibration transmitted outside the system.

You will also get very low per square foot weight distribution.

I doubt it would cost more than 500 bucks to weld up a barge and dig and line a pool of appropriate dimensions

hydraulic isolation is an idea as old as listers, older in fact.

it will be rejected out of hand because it doesn't fit with already fleshed out plans.

The fact that it is easy, cheap, safe and has no meaningful failure mode doesn't matter.

Isolastic mounting is complex, expensive, potentially unsage and has no safe failure mode.

--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 03:20:56 AM »
Guy
What is your educational background?  Did you graduated from University with an engineering degree?  I believe I read one of your posts where you said you were a marine engineer; I am not exactly sure what it means to be a marine engineer.  You put yourself out as the resident expert on all things Lister and engineering for that matter, as such I would like to know your background.  Do you hold an engineering degree from a University? 

There have been many many posts which center around the highly controversial subject of the proper way to mount an engine.  Guy says that the ONLY proper way to mount a stationary engines is as Lister suggests, with at least cubic yard of concrete.  If the theory is sound it should be able to stand up to scrutiny and questions, which should not be seen as challenges of ones knowledge, but as a desire to understand more.

I do not accept that there is only ONE correct way to mount a stationary engine….Just because Lister did it “this way”….It must be right.  Sorry but I do not give others proxy to think for me.

Here is a crazy thought; contract with a practicing engineer who specializes in the design and implementation of STATIONARY engine mounting systems.  I have done this; I will be receiving a proposal within 2 weeks.  The engine in question is a 12/1 which by all accounts should be difficult to tame.  Below is a link to a video clip of the engine running bolted to 2  8”  “I” beams which are bolted to a garage slab, each “I” beam weighs 96lbs.  There are not even any cross braces, this was just used to test initial balance/stability of the engine, and it ran fine so I left it in place.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4529506396378481680&q=lister+type+engine&hl=en

My goal in this case is to reduce noise transmission and outside the engine room.   I measured the noise level of the engine room at a height of 6’ and 5ft from the near flywheel.  The reading was 93db once the engine was up to operating speed.  A muffler was used and is exhausted outside the engine room.  The walls are untreated (no sheetrock) this will be added later.  A reading of 73bd was recorded with the garage door closed 2 ft away from the door  I could feel the thump when standing on the apron of the garage. 

Scott
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 03:32:21 AM »
Maybe it's a US/European thing where people in the US take greater responsibility for their actions and actively rebel against the nanny state -

You're kidding me, right?

The difference between americans and europeans is not that one bunch actively stand on their own two feet and rebel against the nanny state, it is that one bunch kid themselves that this is the case and the other bunch do so to a far lesser extent, you can choose which is which.

Here in europe we take a whole load of shit from the state and big business, but even so we see and hear some things about the USA and shake our heads in disbelief at what americans just accept... we take to the streets and riot every few years, it's always painted bad by the media, but everyone knows that's bullshit, you can't have stuff as widespread as miners strikes, poll tax riots, fuel blockades and the million anti war protesters who marched on london, (1 in every 60 men women and children in the entire country) without the people actually knowing the straight shit.

we look at some of your stuff like homeland security measures and that quite stunning bit of election fraud and an election that didn't even have a bloody paper trail and shake our heads in disbelief.

watts don't count, thats like toxteth or st pauls, small scale, localised.....

standing up for ourselves and taking responsibility for our actions? what, all of them? lest we be hypocrites...

thanks, but no, I'm happier distributing my responsibility for buying cheap imports and putting whole swathes of english labour out of business, with my dell laptop I'm typing this on while smoking my french tobacco and drinking colombian coffee, buring electricity from the french power company, wearing (at 3 am) a bathrobe made in china, my french car outside........

my uncle who was 86 yesterday was ordered to stay behind in singapore after it fell, he swore blind he'd never have japanes stuff, that was when you could buy a english ferguson telly with english mullard valves inside and drive an austin or ride a BSA, now he has a malayan car, japanese telly and stereo, japanese hearing aid, eats brazilian meat,

I've got a kid due on christmas day, he's is going to grow up in a world very different from the one I knew, I'd just as soon pass on taking my share of responsibility for that, that he'll never know life without being in squillions of interconnected databases, that he'll never know the sweet smell of 100 octane and castol r and the beat of a bad engine warming up on lumpy tickover, that he'll never know fresh food totally uncontaminated with man made chemicals somehwere in the food chain in some concentrations, that he'll never know the ability to outrun your reputation or actions....... nah, I'd just as soon walk away from all personal responsibility for all that and spread it evenly over the whole population.

two bits says the usa turns into a pukka fascist state before the uk does, i'd say about 4 to 5 years before us.

maybe those 1970's easyriders stories have gotten to me, in my dotage once of twice a year those few of us who have secreted away illegal internal combustion engines will meet up away from the spy satellites and blast down long forgotten stretches of old road.

responsibility sucks, that why I avoid it, and mainly I avoid it by telling people not to do dangerous shit, and doubly not to do dangerous shit if you don't understand the dangers...

people will still do it, but my ass is covered.

I'll tell you a secret about little old old before his time in many ways me.

I KNOW people don't listen, cos they insist on making all those mistakes for themseves, just like I did.

I just like being able to say "told you"

every dog has his day, it's just a question of being patient.
--

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 04:05:29 AM »
Guy F,
        You should move to Queensland! No annual MOT (or whatever it's called now). Every man and his dog has oxy gear. My insurers have seen it and never thought to ask if I know how to use it.I've had no formal training.
 I recently bought a 7 ton backhoe for use on my own property."Insurance sir? It's a tractor, which is covered in your house policy as you live in a rural area."
This is not through any stand against the powers that be, it's just that nobody has realised there's a problem.
We have our share of "nanny" laws.Helmets on push bikes (requently ignored) not being able to repair your own plumbing (ditto) etc etc.
I was in the UK a few weeks ago and was amused to see all of the cord switches for the lights in bathrooms (I'd forgotten about those). I'm not even sure if you can buy them in Oz! First thing a sparky asks over here is "where would you like the (240v) pwer point for your hair dryer?" Apparently they must be 450mm from the basin.

Like many people say, we are 9or 10 hours ahead of the UK but 20 years behind!

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 04:22:33 AM »
Guy
What is your educational background?  Did you graduated from University with an engineering degree?  I believe I read one of your posts where you said you were a marine engineer; I am not exactly sure what it means to be a marine engineer.  You put yourself out as the resident expert on all things Lister and engineering for that matter, as such I would like to know your background.  Do you hold an engineering degree from a University? 

Nope, I don't put myself out to be resident expert, I put myself out as being the resident "what about the status quo" and "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" etc.

Qualifications and experience, yeah I can play trumps with them, I don't because I'm not putting myself out to be the resident expert, focus on the message, not the messenger.

I learned everything worth knowing from men and experience, I learned nothing worth knowing in bits of paper, whether they be qualifications or references, if I spout prime bullshit and back it up with a qualification will you buy it?

The message is the bluntest, most deceptive, most dangerous tool in the box is only visible when you look in the mirror.

The message is Lister made literally millions of industrial engine (and did shit more besides, world + dog went to Listers for their expertise and put the lister name on the resulting product) one example of which is the CS 6/1, which will do 100,000 hours and still work as well as the day it did it's first hour.

The message is NOBODY can trump that experience, so where, and I mean it, WHERE does the idea come from that someone can. Where is the proof, where are their qualifications, where is there experience?

There have been many many posts which center around the highly controversial subject of the proper way to mount an engine. 

The subject is not in the least controversial.

On the one hand we have literally millions of commercial examples of stationary engines professionally installed, all fastened solidly to concrete blocks.

On the other hand we have a handful of people, none of whom have designed or sold a single stationary engine, who think they know better.

Ironically, the second group attempt to put supporters of the first group to proof.

Guy says that the ONLY proper way to mount a stationary engines is as Lister suggests, with at least cubic yard of concrete.

Guy says no such thing.

Guy quotes listers, and cites every professional stationary engine installation ever done.

NOBODY has yet shown a single example of an official commercial stationary engine manufacturer official documentation describing a permitted flexible mount.

NOBODY

This is NOT "Guy says"

If the theory is sound it should be able to stand up to scrutiny and questions, which should not be seen as challenges of ones knowledge, but as a desire to understand more.

It is not theory, it is the status quo, the de facto accepted standard, the default answer.

the THEORY is using rubber mounts.

NOBODY who suggests using rubber mounts has even been able to describe the math so far, let alone use it to show an area of uncertainty within which it might be practical for a Lister(oid)

I do not accept that there is only ONE correct way to mount a stationary engine….Just because Lister did it “this way”….It must be right.  Sorry but I do not give others proxy to think for me.

You are describing a belief system, I was talking about engineering, which is an empirical science which known laws which produces repeatable results time after time.

Belief systems have no place in science.

This is the FUNDAMENTAL problem here, people operate on belief systems, and the instant you challenge them they react as though you want their firstborn.

I don't do belief systems.

Here is a crazy thought; contract with a practicing engineer who specializes in the design and implementation of STATIONARY engine mounting systems.  I have done this; I will be receiving a proposal within 2 weeks.

1/ you haven't paid me shit for my opinions, so why the upset?

2/ how do you know your chosen engineer is competent to do what you are paying him for? By definition, the fact that you contracted him is proof you are not able to determine his ability.

3/ what spec did you ask for? Carte blanche? I doubt it. Anything less and you get a nearest fit answer, whatever answer you get will have a waiver.

The engine in question is a 12/1 which by all accounts should be difficult to tame.

Why? Says who?

A twin is inherently easier to tame than a single.

Below is a link to a video clip of the engine running bolted to 2  8”  “I” beams which are bolted to a garage slab, each “I” beam weighs 96lbs.  There are not even any cross braces, this was just used to test initial balance/stability of the engine, and it ran fine so I left it in place.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4529506396378481680&q=lister+type+engine&hl=en

as you say, seems fine.

My goal in this case is to reduce noise transmission and outside the engine room.   I measured the noise level of the engine room at a height of 6’ and 5ft from the near flywheel.  The reading was 93db once the engine was up to operating speed.  A muffler was used and is exhausted outside the engine room.  The walls are untreated (no sheetrock) this will be added later.  A reading of 73bd was recorded with the garage door closed 2 ft away from the door  I could feel the thump when standing on the apron of the garage. 

Scott

The thump from the power stroke will carry a long way, this is an INDUSTRIAL engine, or rather a clone of one, it was never build to go into a house or garage in a domestic setting.

A ton block of concrete won't eliminate the thump completely, it was NEVER MEANT TO, that is NOT THE PURPOSE of the concrete block.

Eliminating the thump completely does not mean you eliminate the original need or purpose of the concrete block.

You claim you do not give others proxy to think for you.

Unless you spend a great deal of time and thought dissecting all your own thought processes you will not realise that the bulk of your "thinking" is not reasoned thought at all, just mental shorthand and regurgitated memes.

Apply logic, in the original meaning of the word, as in occam's razor etc, and you will see the flaws.

Either show me a genuine example of a true stationary engine manufacturer of any note who makes a product similar to a lister or listeroid and who specifies flexible mounts as an acceptable option.

If you are unwilling to do this question why?

Too much work? surely if you are right it cannot be hard to find an example.

Ergo if you cannot find examples easily, you cannot be right.

Then we need to look at the suspicious alignment between the difficulty of the task, and unwillingness to undertake it.

We know it is like sweeping water uphill, but don't want to admit this, so say we can't be assed.

If we know it is like sweeping water uphill, the evidence that we are right is flimsy, to say the least.

If the evidence that we are right is flimsy, no amount of protestation is going to convince anyone except those who know less than us.

So we are back to Freud, it is ego.

I have made available for download on this website all the main start-o-matic and cs official manuals.

They ONLY mentioned the concrete block, NOTHING ELSE, absolutely NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of rubber mounts.

Show me the Lister documentation for the CS series of engines that mentions flexible mounts, or no block of concrete

or

Show me the Listeroud documentation for the CS clones that mention flexible mounts or no block of concrete, though these will carry far far less weight that lister ones)

or

Show me someone who knows more about Listers than Lister themselves who advocates flexible mounts or no block of concrete.

--

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 04:24:49 AM »
Guy F,
        You should move to Queensland!

Tell me where to steal the loaf of bread so I can get transported.

--

Doug

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 04:41:45 AM »
Somethings change some things revert back.

The long gun registry is about to dry up and blow away here in Canada when the money stops flowing for the program. Just goes to show in the age of the screaming blue blooded urban know it alls, you can get stupid laws removed.

But I'm still paying double the price to generate hydro in the north so energy hungry southerners can have a lower rate. But when Norhter Uranium became more expensive for "their" power plants than the world price they stopped buying that's not fair is it?

Smog is a Southern problem because to many people live in Toronto and have drive 2 hours. So why do I need to get stuck paying for their problems.

Its a hell of an act ballancing what is good for blue blood and the laws they pass and what is good for me and my modest easy lifestyle in the burbs.

Wood stoves there's another one. Sure they cause house fires, mostly idiots who burns big smoldery fires and never clean the chimny. This makes my house insurance to high because of some other idiots?

More problems are caused by politicians who listen to noisiest people before they ask the the right questions. They don't know how to ballance the good of commons sence regulations with the rights of the individual to run his life in a responsible manner. Let the Idiots whine, give me laws and regulations improve my real safety quality of life.

Doug

Oh ya here the recepticals have to be GFI if they are with reach of wash basin there's good rule

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 04:46:46 AM »
Damn this sure is a fun topic,,, :)

i have gotton so tired of it i could puke, but being one of the Gayle clan, i cannot back down from a perfectly good fight.
so...

lets see if we can come to some agreement here.

of the following can we come to some consensus?

1. if you doubt your abiility to make up a mount, or have even a shadow of a doubt, then build it on a concrete base.

2. if you don't need to move the engine, build it on a concrete base.

3. if you are still worried about which direction to go, at least position the engine to where if the flywheels escape, they go in a direction that is unlikely to hurt anyone.

4. if you are set on welding up a frame, be sure of your ability to do so, or hire it done by a certified welder.

5. either way you go, beit concrete or steel, put inspection of the mounts right up there with checking the oil and water

6. use quality bolts and nuts, not cheap crap.

can we agree on this much?

i think everyone knows my position on this matter, suffice it to say i am convinced i can mount the engine either way and have a safe system.

as far as making recommendations i will defer that to an engineer, only because it is his ass if it goes wrong

also i would like to state for the record even engineers can be wrong with serious consequences, i spend alot of my time in business correcting engineering faults, they are human too and make mistakes, and sometimes the person who builds from the engineers prints fails to do as directed.

i would also like to note the following and i am sure this will piss off somebody, but i will state it anyway.

recently there was a post with a picture of the lister assembly line, to the discerning eye it is apparent that the listers were not finely balanced, but balanced adequately to operate on a block of concrete and run forever. if you look close at the picture and think about it you will come to the same conclusion.

i am certain the indian listers in general are certainly no better balanced than the listers, and likely worse in many cases.

lastly a badly out of balance engine is just plain "a problem" more so if it is to run long hours under load. A badly balanced engine should not be run on a questionable mount, and i would not recommend running one on a block of concrete either. Masking a problem is not a solution to anything.

i have the utmost respect for alot of folks on this board, Hotater, Quinn, and a couple of others are working daily with these engines, folks like fuddyduddy know more about stationary engines than most will ever know, i also respect Guy for his ability to think and his experience with the original engine. i am sure any of these folks could be very successful mounting a lister on just about anything and do it safely.

Then there are a bunch of the rest of us that fit in the middle, capable and reasonable folks, that will do what is necessary to mount the engines safely.

But there are a few, that will take a grain of salt and turn it into whatever fits their needs or wants, and do so as cheaply as possible. These are the folks that concern me.

the bottom line as i see it, is there are differing methods of mounting the engine. it is in the attention to detail where the rub comes in.

"the devil is truely in the details"

i have another thought and that is the degree of isolation of the engine

clearly and engine mounted to a concrete block will have very little isolation, albeit a very safe mount

an engine mounted to air mounts to cushion it in 6 degrees of movement will have a high degree of isolation, abeit of questionable safety.

perhaps there is a middle ground, where there is adequate isolation without a reduction in safety, this i feel may be a direction the discussion might be productive.

just thinking, and not wanting to stir the pot anymore than necessary

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 06:03:32 AM »
A better title to this thread would have been "engineering and assholes". Its always some careless person taking shortcuts who can wreck it for the rest of the population. Just take a look at how many gun laws on the books and how easy it is to get a new one passed each time a criminal goes berserk.

Listeroids are still below the radar yet but it's bound to happen as more listeroid based machines are built. Especially those modified ones, like the turbo lister for instance. How much are you willing to depend on Indian QC? My 10/1 will be derated to an 8/1 or even 6/1 for that very reason....that's just the engine. There is the whole system to consider that YOU built. Then the security of the site itself. Then the safety for your family. Then your liability when accidents occur of assholes tresspass etc...better have an umbrella policy on your homesite at the very least.

You can never discount the danger and sobriety of the real possibility of serious distaster. I may never get out of the research stage...
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 10:47:49 AM »

But you still do not get it.

50 hours don't tell you shit, we are talking about fatugue here, and fatigue is something that happens over time.

650 rpm
60 minutes in an hour
50 hours

650 x 60 x 50 = 1,950,000

2 million cycles is meaningless in terms of fatigue.

All you will catch in 2 million cycles is the truly dismally inadequate crap, it won't tell you a damn thing about the really dangerous long term fatigue stuff, you need about 100 million cycles to even begin to approach the decreasing curve on one side of the fatigue graph, that's 2500 hours at 650 rpm, at that point you can, with a big dose of salt, start to get some idea of how steep that curve is.

Well, good. Once we catch all the dismal crap, it's a case of regular inspection until we have enough data. Or we could simply never advance from the status quo I suppose.

I repeat, a million cycles puts you FIRMLY on the curve for ALL ferrous materials, by definition if you are on the curve you have no idea where it bottoms out, 100 million cycles (10 to the 8th power) are normal testing regimen to ascertain if you have hit the flat part of the curve.

The nature of fatigue is unless you literally deconstruct the component in question, you cannot tell what fatigue it has suffered, schroedingers cat and the black box.

Fair enough - you appear to know more about fatigue than me , so I'll take your advice to heart.

Refuse to bolt the Lister to a large mass solidly and you guarantee the stresses that cause fatigue are cincentrated indide the engine, use isolastic or rubber mounts and you not only guarantee the above, you also introduce frequency shifting and harmonics, thus complicating the fatigue picture immeasurably.

Guarantee? Show me the math. Or quit this harping on about it.

I can speculate and say that doing so will increase the amplitude of such stresses when said waveforms coincide and reinforce each other by a factor of 100. I might be right and I might be wrong, but there is no way on this earth for you to prove me wrong.

Again, speculation doesn't help no-one. Show me the math. I want hard numbers. Or even relatively firm numbers. I've already got tentative numbers that indicate that I can progress in this direction without instant destruction of my engine, frame and mounts. Long term life of the system is still under question. For my very-specific set of circumstances, I might be putting a thousand hours a year on it. If I can design a system that has an effective life of 10 years before fatigue becomes an issue.... is it really an issue for me then? Or do I just construct a new frame in 10 years time to replace my rusted one as part of scheduled maintenance?

The only way to guarantee this never happens is bolt solid to concrete blocks, then if human comfort is an issue isolate the whole shebang.
As I've posted before, concrete blocks have other failure modes - ones that should be picked up, but failure modes nonetheless. Guarantee that it would never happen? Would you care to sign a bit of paper saying that without a few extra caveats?

Or, build it your way, and run it at full load for 2500 hours. If after 2500 hours inspection shows precisely ZERO changes of any kind to motor, rubber mounts or frame then maybe you were right, or maybe you have to wait another 2500 hours for it to show up or that "perfect storm" condition to appear.

There's a term in the computer industry that seems strangely applicable to the converstions here. FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. Stick the with status quo, it's safer, better, and who knows what may happen if you do something else?
I agree that a half-assed solution is no solution at all.

I don't see your "launch her into orbit next week" comment has any validity at all, there are any number of potentially complex engineering tasks that do not get the suck it and see approach, but are always done right guaranteed to fly first time every time, car brakes are an obvious example, elevators and aeroplanes are a mission critical example.

Which is what I'm trying to sort out. There are diminishing returns for the investment of time/money versus increase in safety. One needs to assess the risks and find a balance. I intend to take it as far as I can go with my limited resources (eg, no decent lab facilites, lack of engines to destroy in testing, etc).

Failure mode if the water evaporates of leaks is the barge settles onto rubber bunpers set into the floor and become the basic default lister set up

hydraulic isolation is an idea as old as listers, older in fact.
The fact that it is easy, cheap, safe and has no meaningful failure mode doesn't matter.
Isolastic mounting is complex, expensive, potentially unsage and has no safe failure mode.

Pneumatic isolation has the same failure mode, and doesn't require a barge or a pond. Rest assured, I intend to have a decent safeguard in case of resonance or mount failure. I've done the sums and there'll be resonance with my mount at about 80Hz/160Hz - both at speed levels where the forces involved are relatively low (compared to 600RPM). Bump stops are placed just outside the normal range of movement. If I put it together and test it out and something exceeds my calculations by more than 50%, I'll be looking into what's been missed. I worry about people who put a mount in that has no retaining ability if it shears off.

Anyway, we're sort of drifting off the original topic a bit. I appreciate your input - it helps me see it from an opposing point of view and work in controls for the issues you present. It's all about risk and probability. I'm sure just about everyone who works away from a desk has a little risk assessment card that you can use for on-the-spot calculation of risk. Mine says with an injury of "fatality" and frequency of "rare/haven't heard of it happening" that the risk is "low to medium". Every step I take to reduce that risk (well engineered mount, daily checks, retainers for flywheels etc.) lowers it further, but it's still something to be aware of. But again, we get to the point of diminishing returns.  If it was a risk of "fatality" and a frequency of "heard it's happened every week", I wouldn't start the damn thing until I'd sorted something out to either lower the risk or reduce the frequency.

If anyone wants to get a crash-course in risk assessment, so you can actually use a decent method to assess risk and consequence, let me know and I'll provide one.

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 05:41:54 PM »
Guy
When Lister engines were produced the best solution for mounting was a huge concrete block.  It has been what 40 yrs since they were last produced by Lister?

Do you acknowledge that new technologies have been developed?

As someone else said on this topic the concrete block was a good “catch all” solution.

Well it is the year 2006 and science has advanced.  Materials and techniques not available 40 years ago are available today.  It is closed minded to think that it is impossible to improve on the concrete block solution that Lister used.  Innovation never came out of a mind that thinks along the lines  …..it has always been done this way therefore it can’t be done better.     

The exercise taking place here is adapting old technology to a modern world.  Some believe "if it aint broken dont fix it" others are not satisfied with the status quo and are looking for a better solution.  Incremental progress has taken place over the last 40 years and to dismiss these advances as irrelevant is just silly. 

As you requested Guy below is an engine that is similar to the Lister, it has a flywheel; it is 4 cycle and single cylinder.  These are mounted in residential and commercial buildings.  The manufacturer decided to adopt modern technology vs. mounting it to a big block of concrete.  This is a small power plant that uses vibration dampeners per the technical people I spoke with. And yes I know it is not exactly the same as a Lister but it is like it in many ways, many of the forces are the similar, albeit at lower levels

These are sold primarily on your side of the pond. You may be able to see one in action at a town near you.  I submit that this company satisfies your requirement for an example of an….”official commercial stationary engine manufacturer official documentation describing a permitted flexible mount”…..  The mounting technology is not specifically noted in the literature, but I called the company and they described an internal frame with 4 isolated mounting points.

http://www.marathonengine.com/downloads/diesel_progress_08-04.pdf

http://www.marathonengine.com/cogeneration.html

In the end what is important is finding the best mounting option for each situation.  When you have one solution for every situation you end up with a less than optimal solution for many situations.  One constant is the desire for a stable long lived engine, if there are no other variables added then the” bigger is better” solution of a concrete block makes sense.  Once you start adding requirements such as vibration control and sound attenuation you have to look beyond the simple concrete block solution.

Regarding the engineer I am working with.  His job is to design stationary engine mounts, I have confidence he know what he is doing, he has worked on projects far more complex than mounting a Lister type engine.  I submit he has both the “book” knowledge and the practical experience required to advise me about mounting my Lister type engine. 

Guy You say…. “how do you know your chosen engineer is competent to do what you are paying him for? By definition, the fact that you contracted him is proof you are not able to determine his ability.”

What the hell kind of logic is that??  If you are not an expert in a certain field and you seek expert advise you, by definition are not qualified to do so??  Come on that is just ridiculous.

The subject engine is a 12/1 my assumption is if this engine can be tamed, then smaller engines and dual cylinders should be easier.

My requirements are:
1 No additional stress imparted on the engine or generator vs. mounting to solid block of concrete
2 Reduction of vibration transmitted to the floor and surrounding ground
3 Reduction in noise levels outside of the engine room.

Only time will validate requirement 1 (the engineer said no added stress will be caused)
 Requirement 2 should be evident immediately; he expects 90% isolation at 1000rpm
     (During startup and shutdown there will be more vibration as this system will be “tuned” for operating rpm of 1000)
Requirement 3 is objective and easily measured.

I do not know what the outcome will be, if it turns out that I need to mount it to a block then so be it.  I am more concerned with finding the best solution vs. trying to defend my point of view or being right.  I will go where the results take me.  Guy open up your mind to the POSSIBILIYT  there is a better way.  No one will think less of you if you are willing to think outside of the box.   

Shortly after I discovered the Lister type engines there were all kinds postings that the EPA banned them.  This was generally accepted as fact; people were looking for “ways around” the problem.  I did my own research and contacted the EPA directly vs. relying on someone else’s interpretation of the regulations.  If I had just accepted the “fact” that these engines were no longer allowed I would be without an engine today.  Positive things happen when people challenge the status quo, progress is made. 

Scott

P.S. The world is flat...it says so on the map.
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 07:05:30 PM »
there certainly will never be an easy answer to this topic,  concrete vs steel

a trip down critical thinking lane might be in order.

for example lets use the practice of law

in law you always have opposing sides, not only trying to prove their position, but proving the oppositions position is not valid.

i figure who knows best how to argue a point than a lawyer, and i am sure as hell that they are trained to do so in school

what can we learn from their mode of operation?  procedure!

for instance in this topic we have two sides  one for concrete the other for steel

the concrete guy has to support his position and also try and think thru what all the opposition angles might be, then he must do research to find how these opposing positions are not applicable or in other words find thru research where the opposing position is flawed.

the steel guys have to do the same, prove out their position, and think thru all the opposing positions, and then research to prove that these positions are either flawed or not applicable.

following this procedure two opposing sides can present a compelling case for their position to a third party, failing that the third party should draw no conclusions either for or against a particular position.

so far most folks just want to put forth their position, and have no intensions of entertaining the opposing view

what would be fascinating to me and i suspect many others, is some coherency , some structure to the arguement, on both sides of the issue.

the original thread is full of bits and pieces of reasoning, research and evidence, but sadly pretty scattered and not easy or many to follow.

all mixed in with heated words and a few black eyes in the process,

the evidence is all there in the first post, and to anyone that wants to do a bit of reading there is available all the supporting doc's and examples to prove out either side of the arguement.

i guess for me, failing some form of structure and some hope of resolution, i pass the torch to somebody else.

i have proven the subject to myself and  to my satisfaction.

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info