Author Topic: 14/1 with a 20 KW generator head  (Read 10596 times)

diesel guy

• View Profile
14/1 with a 20 KW generator head
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:22:50 AM »
I am in the middle of building my latest project, a PS 14/1 with a ST 20 KW generator head from Joel. The 14/1 comes from the factory with extra heavy flywheels and looks very well made. I also have a dual sized pulley from Mike. He specially made it for me and weighs about 120+ lbs for a massive stored energy potential at 1800 RPM. The small size is for 600 RPM and the larger size is for 850 RPM. This pulley is a work of art and has to been seen to believe, a very high quality unit.

This would provide about 4,500 watts @ 600 RPM continuous with a  4.44 x gen head  vs. continuous rating with the small pulley and  about 6,375 watts @ 850 RPM continuous with a  3.14 x gen head  vs. continuous rating with the large pulley. They both have a momentary surge capability up to 20 KW.

This is an ongoing experiment, trying to have a tunable generator for both economy or power if needed. I’m going to try to run my home without my inverters and battery bank and opperate on the 600 RPM setting for maximum fuel economy and with a four and a half to one over sized generator head should start my well pump and other high surge devises with ease at the same time provide a smooth continuous AC output.

This unit is like a modern day  Start O Matic ( I know not as good but close) but 4.5 KW and not 2.5 KW.

I have a spare turbo from a 5.9 Cummins that I might add to help keep the piston cool with 2-4 LBS. of boost and not increase the power by increasing fuel delivery. The turbo is too large to make useable power but is sized right so it can increase the operating life of the aluminum piston. Diesels engines function opposite of gas engines, the more air they get in per load, the cooler they run. I’m also not going over 4 PSI at full load as to over strain the internal components.   

When finished I’ll post photos if you like.

Diesel Guy

hotater

• View Profile
Re: 14/1 with a 20 KW generator head
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:30:10 AM »
Feelthy peektures of sexy engines are always welcome!   :o :o
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:41:49 AM »
My wife don't think these engines are sexy, with 3 - 6/1's equipped with 7.5 KW generator heads an now the 14/1 project. She hate these engines and all that goes with them. Me and my son's love them. OH WELL.

Diesel Guy

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:56:02 PM »
my wife loves them,, just because it keeps me gone most of the time//I finally figured out//I think she saw it as cheap way to keep me busy... sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
  Extra air pumped through a diesel, gas turbine or a furnace type burner just wastes fuel. The unused air just absorbs heat and carries energy/heat out the stack. Instead of the heat expanding the combustion gasses.
  So a turbo does no good on a diesel until fuel flow exceeds the airflow througt the engine.
  That piston will be running plenty cool instead of too hot without the turbo. Overheating the aluminium piston is the last worry you should have in a diesel Listeroid. 

diesel guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 01:29:38 PM »
buickanddeere,

Thanks for the input. You are correct excess air will waste fuel, but when the generator is under heavy load and it has no advanced monitoring systems ie: boost, exhaust gas temperature ect. and I’m just relying on the set mechanical settings. The turbo offers an insurance that supplies the needed air when the engine starts producing “black smoke”, when this happens the exhaust temp soars to the danger zone in a matter of “seconds”. (Known from experience)

With extensive R&D work done on diesel engines in the drag racing field and many patent pending and patented engine technologies accomplished, leads us to beleive the small addition air to the engine “will” increase the aluminum piston life and it is the weakest link in the 14/1 design under full load. The turbo will build a small amount of boost “only” when the engine is pulling full load.

The turbo is oversized so not to produce significant back pressure and the operation of the engine will function similar to a naturally aspirated engine under partial load (0-2 lbs boost) and also keeps the air momentum going, (increased volumetric efficiency) which large displacement single cylinders need.

Diesel Guy

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 05:54:38 PM »
So, inquiring minds want to know how the 20kw 14/1 project is going; any pictures yet?

George

livecheap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:42:27 AM »
my harley davidson is the first year twin cam and there is a device in the crank case that sprays oil on the bottom or underside of the pistons to keep them cool. i dont know if its relavent but thought i would share the info   - sam

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 01:37:20 AM »
Hi I don't think you need worry about cooling other than running the engine hot enough. If you check the oil temps after a very long run at full load. You'll see that you have to add heat to the crankcase..
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:40:54 AM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

clickclackboombang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:08:51 PM »
hay folks  i am putting together a 14/1 with a 12kw head.... and I thought that was going to be oversized.  Had I known I would have tried a 15 or 20 kw.    I just paid for a pulley 13" od from alternateenergy Mike in NC. very excited about that...I was having some trouble locating a pulley locally.      I cant wait to  post some pics of the project.. and I will once my frame is together and I have everything mocked up.  Anyway May the rpms be with you all.