Author Topic: A Petteroid that fires once.  (Read 12661 times)

emerald

• View Profile
Re: A Petteroid that fires once.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »
With grooves in the bore it will cause you to loose compression, scorch marks indicate cooked rings too. If you can feel the grooves in the bore with a finger nail, they are too deep and you need to get it rebored and install new rings. Covering an air cooled engine is a bad idea, they do need cool air operate efficiently. Although for my money and longevity, I always use water cooled diesel engines.

Get it rebored, put in new rings and she ought to be fine.

Emerald

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:26:46 AM »
I don't know if this thread would be helpful or not, but here's a link to it, for whatever it's worth http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=2062.0

I feel your pain with the overheating problem, I did the same thing to my Metro 6/1

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 05:58:41 AM »
Hello Doctor Muqdad:

I think you will need a new Piston, Rings and Cylinder.

I don't think there is an over sized pistron available for the Petter but these parst shouldn't cost more 40 or 50 US Dollars.

Since you will have to take the engine a part for service you may also consider replacing the connecting rod big end bearing if it has any scratches and polish the journal with some fine sand paper.

As you can see in this link I had to replace mine and polish the crank shaft because of sand damage and you may also want to inspect the engine for sand or anything else that may caus etrouble later.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4482326

My crank shaft is not perfect but good enough.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4482331

These are a few of the places I found sand and problems that you should check your engine for. If your check threw all the pictures you maye also find some pictures of other problems as well as the tools I made to remove the gib head key and fly wheel.

http://www.putfile.com/dougwp/images/31565

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

drmuqdad

• In the honeymoon of me and my petteroid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 10:27:59 AM »
Hi everyone...I know I'm late but things don't always go to where you want...

I removed the head, exposed the piston and rings, and removed the rings. No ring was already broken but the upper three were so fixed to the piston by carbon so that I broke them to get them out. They have upper and lower lips that are razor-sharp. It was obvious they were cooked by the overheatings. I cleaned their canals from carbon and new rings were easily seated. A new indian set of five 102mm rings retails for $6 (six Dollars).

The cylinder grooves were inspected by three mechanics who gave different opinions; one said it'll work fine, another said it needs polishing/smoothing but not reboring, the last decided I should throw it in the trash and a get a new one.

The variability of opinion reassured me I can test my cylinder with the new rings and see what I'll decide later accordingly.

Just for your interest, a new piston complete with rings retails for around $16, a cylinder alone costs ~$24, while a new combination of cylinder, piston, and rings retail for around $40.

I reassembled the machine using the cylinder without polishing and everything is fine now.

Dear mkdutchman, the thread was quite helpful..thank you.

As I promised you biobill, I'll tell you what I've done to diminish sound. First i got a heavy, and heavy duty, muffler to replace the original. As it was heavy, and as the machine is not solidly fixed to the concrete base, the free vibration cracked the muffler neck several times at the end near the engine. This needed painstaking effort to support the muffler to this shapeless engine. It is still very liable to be broken again.
After deciding the solid mount is somewhat advantageous over the resilient mount, I fixed the engine directly to the concrete base, but this caused an earthquake in my house and the neighbours, so I suspended the engine on rubber pads to absorb the huge vibrations.
The muffler could not diminish but a share of the huge engine noise of a wall surrounded engine, so I had to build a sealed cabin that is fan ventilated. The fan forces air through an opening in the roof over the gen-head and the hot air should go under pressure through another roof opening over the engine that also outs the muffler outlet. The engine takes its combustion air separately through a hose to the outside. The arrangement worked fine before the summer became hell hot. It considerably attenuated noise. I used blocks of pressed wood fibre for the walls of the cabin.

Thank you all guys...

Dr. Muqdad.

mamad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »
Good Morning Mr. Dr
How are you!
I received two emails from you but so sorry that I didnot answer you as it was crazy busy after returning from Syria!
I telephoned you because at that time I was in Aleppo and I wished to see you and your engine from the near!
By the way,I wish you fired your engine and your problem had solved . please let me know, what are you doing on your engine ?is it a new engine?
Have a nice day!
Mamad

mamad

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »
Hi everyone...I know I'm late but things don't always go to where you want...

I removed the head, exposed the piston and rings, and removed the rings. No ring was already broken but the upper three were so fixed to the piston by carbon so that I broke them to get them out. They have upper and lower lips that are razor-sharp. It was obvious they were cooked by the overheatings. I cleaned their canals from carbon and new rings were easily seated. A new indian set of five 102mm rings retails for $6 (six Dollars).
Please,buy the best quality always!you must select the best ring sets I think.
The cylinder grooves were inspected by three mechanics who gave different opinions; one said it'll work fine, another said it needs polishing/smoothing but not reboring, the last decided I should throw it in the trash and a get a new one.
before doing any jobs please check the clearance of the rings while they are in new liner.it must be at least 0.25 MM  .
The variability of opinion reassured me I can test my cylinder with the new rings and see what I'll decide later accordingly.

Just for your interest, a new piston complete with rings retails for around $16, a cylinder alone costs ~$24, while a new combination of cylinder, piston, and rings retail for around $40.
it is fine!
I reassembled the machine using the cylinder without polishing and everything is fine now.

Dear mkdutchman, the thread was quite helpful..thank you.

As I promised you biobill, I'll tell you what I've done to diminish sound. First i got a heavy, and heavy duty, muffler to replace the original. As it was heavy, and as the machine is not solidly fixed to the concrete base, the free vibration cracked the muffler neck several times at the end near the engine. This needed painstaking effort to support the muffler to this shapeless engine. It is still very liable to be broken again.
After deciding the solid mount is somewhat advantageous over the resilient mount, I fixed the engine directly to the concrete base, but this caused an earthquake in my house and the neighbours, so I suspended the engine on rubber pads to absorb the huge vibrations.
The muffler could not diminish but a share of the huge engine noise of a wall surrounded engine, so I had to build a sealed cabin that is fan ventilated. The fan forces air through an opening in the roof over the gen-head and the hot air should go under pressure through another roof opening over the engine that also outs the muffler outlet. The engine takes its combustion air separately through a hose to the outside. The arrangement worked fine before the summer became hell hot. It considerably attenuated noise. I used blocks of pressed wood fibre for the walls of the cabin.

Thank you all guys...

Dr. Muqdad.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 04:00:44 AM »
Thank you Mamad.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken