Author Topic: Powerline 10/1 inspection  (Read 63614 times)

Doug

Re: Powerline 10/1 inspection
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2007, 03:28:48 AM »
Here's a new complaint I never read anything about here before.....

I just noticed A huge bur on the side of my intake cam lobe. Looks like the metal curled over the edge durring the grinding process. Easily removed....

The Exhaust lobe has some heavy scratches. Tough to say if thats a case of poor polishing or if something was stuck to the lifter base durring start up.

I wonder if I should try and polish the lobe?

Pictures later....
( spare cam sure feels like it was a wise investment now )

I've some realy interesting photos for you guys today!
Look at the abrasive crude on that cam. Funny how I never noticed this before....
The scracthes in the exhaust lobe seem to be from this stuff.

And to my suprise with a little effort and 400-600-1000 sand paper 90% of this trouble polished right out.
I'm going to reuse this cam and keep the spare as a spare.

Side note, the spare cam has no exterior crude but I know there is some in the bearing I can feel and on the govener push rod when. 

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4694389

Doug
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:59:11 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Lifters are back from the machine shop today....

I just need to hone my cylinder and finnish fabricating an oil filter, finnish the intake and exhaust, make the coolant parts and assemble....

Of course I still need a head ( third attempt seems to have fallen threw ), build a frame and build all my controls and wiring.

At this rate the engine will last forever, cause its never done anything lol...

Doug

Doug

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »
I decided to try and make a preheat device from a glow plug for Gus.

This is where my idea of using JIC fittings for the intake shines. If this doesn't work, I can quietly toss the part out and make something else...

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4763268

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »
Looks like a medieval thumb torture device or worse!

so this fitting goes where? right on the head, or somewhere inline with the intake but after the air filter?  apply juice to this for mumble mumble seconds, then initiate start sequence alpha sucking in a charge of super heated air which will fire off at the first compression and shot of diesel.

Looks good Doug.  Keep plugging away, make sure you get a sign-off from the QC guy and get that baby running.  I want to buy it from you when it's done.

Robert

Doug

« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
This part threads onto the intake manifold I made with what looks like a giant flaired compression fitting ( because thats what it is inside diameter is 1.5 inches). The manifold isn't quite ready yet, I have yet to make an exhaust from the same parts and eventualy a an air cleaner is going screw onto the preheater.

Too my way of thinking this is the easiest way to go. I just don't like the fit and finnish of the Indian parts and with cold snaps like last night -28 c I need to come up stuff better adapted to Northern Ontario. I was going to use 3 glow plugs placed 120 deg apart but this was such a pain in the back side to weld, set up drill, tap and fit I stopped at one.

Who knows maybe this will end up at the igniter in a flame start system.

Thats the Beauty of JIC fittings no bolts, no pipe fittings to fight with and worries about sealing. It also have a nice 45 deg upwards bend from the head and the bend on the fittings is a very smooth clean radius so I may have a modest improvement in air flow.

I also bought a bottle of Muiric acid and descaled the original liner and cylinder block. This worked realy well ( thanks for the tips guys ) but it stunk up the laundry room and no matter how clean I also got the laundry tub the wife wasn't happy. I used a 5:1 solution in three steps and each step was a little weaker. At first the bubling scared me I thought I was doing some more harm than good, but the mixture wasn't as strong as recommended for cleaning.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:29:37 PM by Doug »

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:13 AM »
If you want to improve cold starting try heating the injector...
Makes a huge improvement..

Doug

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2007, 01:19:33 AM »
Thats also in the works....

I was thinking of a fiber glass sleaving over the injector line and and injector and a winds of nicrome wire as a crude heater....

Doug

Doug

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2007, 02:11:12 AM »
A trip to the auto parts place lead me to believe a PH 6009 filter would be a good option to replace to the filter from India on Gus. So the QC guy and I took the filter housing to Canadian tire to try and fit the filter.

The QC guy ( My  2 1/2 year old quality control inspector ) and I discussed the possibility of replacing the by pass unit with a full flow off the main oil gallery and feeding the rear main and rocker box oil. By the time we reached the parts counter the QC guy had misplaced the bolt that held the Indian filter, so we are going the full flow route now I guess, with a drain off the rear main less the bypass.

The QC guy was quite upset about his missing "machine part". I wasn't so tickled myself, but its just one more thing to add to the list of spares when the order goes out.

Thankfuly Powerline is still there aswering all my emails and telling me I can getr anything I need....

Dough!

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2007, 11:44:54 PM »
New pictures up of my upgraded intake air filter and beefed up cooling system flanges built around JIC # 16 and  # 24 fittings....

http://www.putfile.com/dougwp/images/31565

Doug

Trouble with Putfile seems to be fixed now and I reloaded some pictures, enjoy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:03:52 AM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2007, 01:54:30 AM »
More fab work, more frustration.....

Dave has been buisy on work welds so, the Petteroid parts production line has slowed. The last of the coolant parts is waiting for welds and final fit and the exhaust manifold is in layout. Actual exhaust system parts beyond the manifold are a build as you go item so Gus will test fire on the factory original manifold and silencer.

Final painting has begun.

On to an ST head.
Venders don't seem to like to negotiat price in Canda. I had a nice little conversation going with one fellow untill I provided him with some figueres on the cost of ST heads form several manufatcurers and shipping, duties ect ect. I never made an offer, I asked him for reasonable price....

This kind of pissed me off so I think I'm going to post a list of prices for ST heads from Chinese manufacturers so everyone can see and gauge the prices paid.....

Doug

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2007, 02:10:46 AM »
Ever wonder what kind of hoops you have to jump threw to import something like an ST head
I hope this helps you guys buying heads to see the wide difference in prices, but the reality is these are still cheap.

What kind of difference do you think there is between the $115 dollar head and the 202 dollar head????????

Mindong Yanan Electrical Machine co., Ltd.
No.14 JinLin Road, Fuan, Fujian, China,355019
Tel:0086-593-6350898, Fax: 0086-593-6350889
http://www.yanan-motor.com Email: sales@yanan-motor.com
http://yananmotor.en.alibaba.com/

Dear Mr Doug
Thanks for your e-mail, we are sincerely looking forward to cooperation with you,
Regarding to your email,we can produce the 600/347 and 208/120 Vac 3 phase 60 HZ alternators ,
Following is the price for ST-5 single phase 120/240 Vac 60 Hz unit
FOB FUZHOU PRICE
ST-5KW  $115

Above is for your information if you have any question please do not hesitate to contact with me any time..

Best regards

Offer          Sheet
Re: ST series A.C Single phase synchronous Alternator
Email: powermotor@163.com       
Mobile: 0086-13599199280
Item   Output   Dimension(mm)   Gross Weight   FOB Fuzhou
(US Dollar)
   KW   KVA         
ST-2   2 KW   2.5 KVA   520x285x455   53 Kg   $ 85 FOB Fuzhou
ST-3   3 KW   3.75 KVA   520x285x455   58 Kg   $ 93 FOB Fuzhou
ST-5   5 KW   6.25 KVA   630x380x545   100Kg   $145 FOB Fuzhou
ST-7.5   7.5KW   9.38 KVA   630x380x545   105Kg   $158 FOB Fuzhou
ST-10   10KW   12.5 KVA   680x425x585   120Kg   $182 FOB Fuzhou
ST-12   12KW   15.0 KVA   680x425x585   130Kg   $198 FOB Fuzhou
ST-15   15KW   18.75KVA   730x460x650   180Kg   $262 FOB Fuzhou
ST-20   20KW   25.00KVA   730x460x650   195Kg   $275 FOB Fuzhou
ST-24   24KW   30.00KVA   730x460x650   208Kg   $287 FOB Fuzhou
ST-30   30KW   37.50KVA   920x550x730   290Kg   $466 FOB Fuzhou
ST-40   40KW   50.00KVA   920x550x730   320Kg   $508 FOB Fuzhou
ST-50   50KW   62.50KVA   920x550x730   370Kg   $621 FOB Fuzhou
We also can supply STC series three phase,; T2H series phase compound excitation type(64KW—120KW); TFW series brushless alternator(from 8KW---120KW);   

YANCHENG JINGWEI INT’L GROUP CO., LTD
Add: 12 EAST YANHE ROAD, YANCHENG, JIANGSU, CHINA
PROFORMA INVOICE

To   :   Â                                                     Date and No.:
   No.   :   
      Date   :   
From   :   Shanghai to Port of .   To   :   
Insurance   :   TO COVER ALL RISKS BY THE SELLER   Shipment   :   
Payment   :   BY 100% T/T at USD5190, upon the LCL SHIPMENT by B/L SCANNED COPY from Shanghai
QTY
   Commodities & Specifications
We order some ST gen heads(brush alternators: 120/240V, 1-Ph,60Hz,1800rpm) with A.V.R. with better heavy steel electric boxes with 220V circuit breaker inside rated for the generators’output AMP:
7 - ST-5 x USD202 =USD1414
2 - ST-8 x USD228 =USD456
2 - ST-10 x USD264 =USD528
2 - ST-12 x USD302 =USD604
2 - ST-15 x USD339 =USD678
2 - ST-20 x USD365 =USD730
2 - ST-24 x USD390 =USD780
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL:     19 UNITS      US$5190.00 ONLY, CIF
Transport mode: BY LCL container SHIPEMT FROM SHANGHAI TO . THE ABOVE PRICES HAVE INCLUDED THE TOTAL OCEAN FREIGHT.
THE DELIVERY DATE: Around Feb End/ early March.   Unit Price   Amount
   ST 1 PHASE BRUSH ALTERNATORS with AVR, with better electric boxes
CONSIGNEE/NOTIFY PARTY of B/L:

Phone:       
   BENEFICIARY: YANCHENG JINGWEI INT'L GROUP CO., LTD.
            12 EAST YANHE ROAD,YANCHENG, JIANGSU, 224001 CHINA
             BANK: BANK OF CHINA,YANCHENG BRANCH
             20 EAST JIANJUN ROAD,YANCHENG, JIANGSU, 224001 CHINA
             SWIFT CODE: BKCHCNBJ940   
Our bank A/C No.:     

CONFIRMED BY THE BUYER                                CONFIRMED BY THE SELLER

Â                                                 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:13:06 AM by Doug »

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2007, 10:17:20 PM »
I have purchased an ST-5 from Altopro.
He's flexable on a lot of fronts and I am pleased with the deal we struck, not the cheapest head I could get but the least trouble.

Dave finnished welding the exhaust manifold for me this week and I started draw filing it flat. Next finnish the thermostat housing and maybe I ask Dave if he has time to weld up one more flange and fitting for my 7/8 ID cooling system parts.

I work with a weld who can do real magic. Welding in the hands of most people leaves a lot of distortion. A true master of the trade like Dave can held stuff out of fittings and plate and leave you with a half hour of filing to get things true.

Gus's cam came to Petteroids labs for detailing this week. A litttle  grinding followed by 1201 and its perfect.

So tired.....

Lights are on now at the end of the line....

Doug   

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2007, 03:59:17 AM »
Slight hitch, the head Pat sent me has some damage, after a few email he's going to eat the loss and replace the end bell that has some cracks from shipping I guess.

Pat generaly sells stuff no warrenty or refund. The fact he is replacing parts tells a lot about the man. I guess if this happened often he would say buyer be ware but no he stood up and said he's cover it.

Bravo Altopro

Doug

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2007, 01:12:31 AM »
Doesn't surprise me,
   I was kicking the tires on a petteroid he had, and he was willing to go to some lengths to make it easy for me to purchase it, and that's without knowing me from Adam.  At the time I didn't have the funds to deal with the purchase so it got sold to another bidder.  But the way he treats people says a lot about the guy.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2007, 06:08:04 AM »
Agreed!

I think I'll buy more from him.......

On a lighter note today was mop up day, I cleaned some space for Gus.
I've been very quite last month or so as I work threw some issues on my home grown parts. I still have alot things needed to be made and fitted.

The final count down has begun:
I did a mock up this evening and most of my custom parts fitt well, I have to mount the starter to make sure the lower coolant fitting clears. The oil filter and modified oil filler( Kubota )-cover plate-crank case access door have to be tested with the starter. The fuel filter( Kubota )  has to tested with the lines and the existing block studs.

2 more shifts and I'm off for a few weeks of holidays and hopefuly it will be time to build a frame for the engine and head.

Head is now ready but for the wiring.

My but this became involved.

Doug