Author Topic: Ford Petter?  (Read 3495 times)

Procrustes

• View Profile
Ford Petter?
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:02:24 AM »
Who knew that such a beast exists?

http://www.surplusman.com/Detail.php?itemid=642

Doug

Re: Ford Petter?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 04:20:22 PM »
Probably a Ford ( Newholand ) tractor derived LP engine. I don't know anything about this but the placement of things on the engine reminds me of a ford tractor. Infact with the execption of the engine mounts this looks like all the hoses and parts including fuel lines coolant and power stearing pump in in exactly the right place to drop into my my old Miller minecat ( a 1990 NewHolland 3 cylinder tractor convertion ).

If we could zoom in on that thermostat housing I suspect it says Ford and the LP connection is in name only.

This has been peaking my curiousity since I first saw that picture. I started stripping the minecat for parts a few months ago, lots of usefull parts on it for the Petter engine. One thing that caught me eye that seemed a little odd but I didn't dwell on was thermostat itself said "made in England". Seemed to me at the time we must have replaced the OEM Ford unit with something that was sitting in stock because that kind of part is probably made cheaper in Mexico or something.
Tonight I'll snap some photos of the engine ( or what remains ) in 943 minecat and look for anything that has the LP mark or other indications this engine and trany were made in England.

Doug
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:28:28 PM by Doug »

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:01:18 PM »
  Since the newer Lister Petter co. started making engines for specific applications "to order", I wonder if it's one they made on order for a Ford tractor?  Or maybe this is from the time that Ford was getting involved in the European market thru the English companies it set up partnerships with. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Doug

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 05:53:52 PM »
I don't know, the block doesn't say lister/petter any place I can see but it is the same engine. There are obvious differences like the water cooled exhaust but the Minecat and the ford/lister/petter are the same.
I have some photos of the rusting remains of 943 mincat I'll upload when I have time....

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 01:31:10 PM »
Lister has for many years bought in engines from Ford to customise for specific markets where it had no engine of its own to offer.

There was a piece in Stationary Engine magazine a few years back about exactly this type of unit.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 02:03:39 AM »
Some thing mobile told me at work...

That and the marine version is probably a little different inside for a marine aplication.

Doug