Puppeteer

Author Topic: Paint Stripping?  (Read 18964 times)

Doug

Re: Paint Stripping?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 01:58:47 AM »
Thats depressing....

Doug

My auto shop teacher Pete ( we called him Pete and respected him a great deal ) said to me and a few fellows standing around a drill press with a dap of valve grinding compound on a push rod reaming a hole in a coke bottle " I know what you gauys are doing".....

Your making a lamp out of a Coke bottle, I did that when I was your age too. I'll talk to Mr. Lulloma about getting you biys some extra credit for doing an electrical project on your free time like this.

Not busted but sure worried for a minut

Ah... auto shop daze ....

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 02:06:15 AM »
    Anybody got any idea how to remove part of the paint? I got a wisconsi ,I think,that someone painted ovet the manufacturer's plate. Some parts are missing,and I need to know modef,and serial,hp ect. How can I do this?

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 02:17:46 AM »
""They're not teaching kids how to DO anything manual anymore.""

isn't that the truth, and a damn shame!

at the end of the 1971 school year our little high school was unified with the county seat, and they couldn't wait to get
rid of the metal shop, wood shop, and the drafting department, as well as all the chemistry lab equipment and everything.
the explanation was, we have all that at the bigger school.

truth was the bigger school, had none of the above or a very slight likeness of each, it was pathetic.

they did have a mechanical drawing class ran by an idiot, that was so egotistical it was amazing, not knowing us boys from the little school were pretty crafty he was easy to work around.

my favorite memory was drafting a 120 tooth gear on paper, each tooth had to be generated and you were graded on the last tooth! he helped us start the first and then you work clockwise around the gear blank.

didn't take me long to figure if i am going to be graded on the last tooth, then i will make it 2nd and alternate left/right around the blank, the bottom tooth was a bit thin,,, he never caught it and had to give me an A for the paper! What a bozo! :)
it drove him out of his mind looking at the last tooth wondering how i could have been so perfect, when no one in 20 plus years had been able to do it.  still cracks me up after all these years!

we were short changed in that unification, and today kids are severely cheated in my opinion.

another good stripper is Drano, the drain cleaner, if you coat the part in it and wrap it in plastic and let it sit, it will eat up paint quite well.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 05:31:22 AM »
Dail, you mean you just want to remove one layer and leave the one below it intact?  Rotsaruck!  That's a job for an artist which I ain't.  However, I think you could probably take a fine artist's paintbrush and dab a little lacquer thinner or acetone in a corner of the labe until you see how much time you have to give it to lift the paint.  Paint might crinkle off or just soften, allowing you to remove it with a popsicle stick, this being good weather for those!  Other than that, I can't help.  Just work slowly and under good light.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 05:39:55 AM »
I just got back from the Ho'  They still have lye.  It's in the plumbing aisle and called "crystal drain cleaner."  The Red Devil brand was conspicuous by its absence. 
A gander at the label on the back said, "Contents:  Sodium hydroxide."  Period.  End of sentence. 

32 ozs. for five bucks and change.  Picked up two.  I think I'll do all the small parts in a 5-gallon plastic bucket.  Once I get to the crankcase I'll get creative.  I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel that I might be able to use for that.  Not quite sure if the CC will fit in there.  But I'm highly motivated to avoid using mechanical means to strip the paint on this engine. 

Better Living Thru Chemistry!

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 06:04:37 AM »
How does one safely dispose of 55 gallons of lye solution?

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 01:02:25 PM »
There is no question that sandblasting is best for a crappy listeroid. The sandblast will remove all sorts of casting sand. It will also show up all the casting flaws on the surface. I did not do this for my twin crankcase and I am sorry I didn't. I did sandblast the smaller parts with great results.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 03:23:20 PM »
Lye can be neutralized via a SLOW drip of hydrochloric/muriatic acid and then flushed.  Once neutralized, you're left with salt water.  The paint residue will settle to the bottom and can be disposed of in the trash.  I don't plan to have anywhere near 55 gallons of the stuff.

Quinn

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »
Quinn gives the textbook answer, which is also the correct answer for large volumes (over a gallon or two).  Smaller volumes can be drizzled down the drain with cold running water once they're cool and have settled for a day or two.  The settled paint residue should be acid neutralized and disposed of as the hazardous waste it probably is.

Of course, if you have a septic tank, you probably don't want to introduce the bugs to anything from this process, be it pH neutral or not.

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 06:13:52 PM »
My kids tell me that I'm not as dumb as I look.   :P

You're probably right about the paint residue.  Last engine, I just dumped the sweepings off the floor in the trash over a period of about 4 weeks.  This time it should end up in the bottom of the barrel and a couple of 5-gallon paint cans if I get it all. 

Still interested in sand blasting, but haven't had that done before.  Anybody care to take a stab at what should be a fair price to pay if I took it to a place to have it done?

Quinn

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 06:31:45 PM »
i am not a big fan of sandblasting because of the wide variance in quality of operator experience and the variety of media and deliver pressures
in other words, unless you are very careful in selecting the right guy, you could get a gorilla that uses 200 psi to blow pea gravel sized sand and wear out
brg surfaces, gskt surfaces, chamfers, bolt holes and god knows what else.

in the right hands and using the right stuff i am sure it is effective and should be fairly cheap, but in the wrong hands even a cheap price ain't cheap if you get back clean scrap iron

i still say hot tank it, not much to screw up with that process.

and btw, isnt the purpose of all this work to get the sand out of the block,,,, something just doesnt feel right using sand to do that,,,, :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 06:43:07 PM »
in other words, unless you are very careful in selecting the right guy, you could get a gorilla that uses 200 psi to blow pea gravel sized sand and wear out
brg surfaces, gskt surfaces, chamfers, bolt holes and god knows what else.
Whew!  Been there, done that.  College roomie took his bike frame (very nice vintage Raleigh Record) down to the local guy to have it sandblasted.  When it came back, it had been sand-peened at 160+ PSI with large, pointy grains - looked like the surface of the moon.  It was hell to get enough filling primer on the thing to smooth the mess out.

As soft as the cast iron on my 6/1 is, I'd be very cautious about sandblasting.  The stuff cuts like butter with a dremel tool - it wouldn't take much to erode a gasket surface beyond repair.

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

slowspeed1953

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 08:44:59 PM »
Hey all I posted a question about disposal of the used solutions discussed in this thread but some  ##### @@@@@ deleted it.

How are yall getting rid of said solutions?

By the way easy off oven cleaner will strip the %%%%% &&&&&&t out of anything painted or epoxied of yeah I did say **** ####t right?

Ive also purchased the five gallon bucket of carb cleaner available at napa $70 and there isnt a finish that stuff wont eat including skin so be careful.

Both the oven off and Napa carb dip bucket will tarnish and if left long enough erode aluminum.

Peace&Love :D, Darren

MODERATOR NOTE:  No need to use the curse words, it adds nothing to your comments and you appear less educated in the process.   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:50:28 PM by t19 »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 11:35:22 PM »
Mobile Bob got it right...DON'T blow sand in your engine.

Hot tank it to remove paint  and shot peen the inside IF it needs sealing and the dingleberries knocked off.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 12:49:49 AM »
  A strong Hydroxide solution is often used as a line cleaner by sewer crews.  No real harm putting it into the sewer system AS LONG AS you don't put the paint solids with it(could be toxic), and feed it slowly.  Better yet, check with your sewer plant to see if they could use it as an alkalinity supplement for their plant. 
  The ability to strip all grease out of the lines is the biggest problem, as you'll have great big clods of rancid grease plugging lines and pumps if you're not careful.  That's why it's better to check with them.  Of course if you are going to a septic tank it's not a good idea to dump it.  Upsets the contents a whole bunch and can release toxics into the drainfield. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).