Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel Filter for contaminated fuel.  (Read 5761 times)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Fuel Filter for contaminated fuel.
« on: September 03, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »
I need a crude filter to get the coke cans, sand and large guantities of water out of my fuel.

I am ruining the pump on my Alfa Laval centrifugal filter due to the large quantity of debris and water going through the pump. I had thought about using a small propane tank with the inlet at the bottom and outlet near but not at the top. The flow rate can be fairly fast, so the container needs to be big. I would like to have an element to get the sand out too. Maybe a stainless pool or spa filter.

What do you guys think?

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Geno

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Filter for contaminated fuel.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 09:59:29 PM »
Based on what I’ve read the TP filters are good (even water) but your gonna spend some $ on the housing. I have one for the oil on my Listeroid. When I’m fully set up I’ll have a valve to pump the oil to the bearings when its cold and through the filter when it warms up. It would work for fuel too if you want to put unfiltered fuel in the main fuel tank.

I’ve been thinking about cheap ways to use TP to filter fuel or oil before they go in the main fuel tank. The PVC I’ve seen isn’t the right size. While in the barn today I saw some wide roof flashing and had an idea. It’s rolled up in a slight cone shape so the TP is squeezed at the bottom. Before I rolled it up and clamped it I put a couple beads of silicone on it to seal things up. The center of the TP is, for the moment plugged with crumpled up TP. If this idea works I'll be able to heat up a few gallons on the radiator, dump them in the filter and walk away.
Keep in mind it’s an unfinished work in progress.

Thanks, Geno

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:05:14 PM »
HiYou need a screen on the intake for your pump or a different pump. You might transfer the oil into an open top barrel by bucket. Pour it through a bag of pillow ticking to trap the big chunks.
Then pump it to your second filter.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 12:39:07 AM »
Geno,
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 12:44:17 AM »
Geno,
    I've probably asked you this before but in the above photo...where does the outlet from your filter return to the crankcase?

Thanks
Joe

A sure sign of old age is when you start to repreat yourself...

A sure sign of old age is when you start to repreat yourself...
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 03:00:46 AM »
Geno,   I've probably asked you this before but in the above photo...where does the outlet from your filter return to the crankcase?
Thanks
Joe

I put a fitting on the left cam bushing oiling plug. It gets LOTS of lube now.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 05:34:59 PM »
I guess I was not clear. Sorry.

I have a need to process many barrels of fuel all at once. I need a filter that I can use on the transfer pump to keep the junk out. It is a fairly high flow rate. What I hope to achieve is cleaner fuel in the transfer tanks or drums. In other words, I do not want to bring as much junk home.

I have the Alfa Laval that I use to transfer the fuel from my transfer tank into the bulk storage tanks. I use a Motorguard for final polishing of the fuel.

Thanks for the replies!

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 09:26:26 PM »
How about a big Racor or Dahl filter with a 40 micron element that can handle 6 or so gpm?  Or do you need something much more coarse, like a big water filter?  We have used all three preparing fuel for the Atlas, but generally use the Dahl or Racor even though the elements are more expensive.  We have found that is never good to take all from a tank when we scrounge fuel because of the NASTY bottoms of dubious origin, and that gravity is your friend and settling takes care of a lot of ills.  The fuel system for the Atlas is arranged to circulate through a couple of filters at 6-10 gpm continously to polish to 10 microns into a day tank then that overflows into the main tank.  I don't know the specifics of your arrangement but fuel is where and what you find and getting it clean enough to run is important.
George

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:59 AM »
Hi take a look at page 329  mcmaster.com
Screen for in take in large sizes
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time